Connect with us

Latest News

A police inspector beaten to death by soldiers in Rivers State

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

According to a report, a police inspector , Hosea Yakubu, has died after he was allegedly tortured by four military men at Eleme Petrochemical gate, Port Harcourt, It was gathered that Yakubu was beaten to a pulp by the soldiers attached to the company last week Sunday for driving against traffic.

A brother to the victim was quoted as saying that Yakubu and two other officers were returning from a patrol duty and chose to drive against traffic to avoid a gridlock along Eleme road.

He said when his brother got to the company’s gate, a military man on mufti, flagged them down and confronted them for driving against traffic.

READ  Femi Gbajabiamila Strongly Urges Ghana To Revisit Law On $1m Business Capital

A heated argument was said to have ensued between the policemen and soldiers prompting one of the soldiers to slap the police driver.

The late Yakubu was said to have alighted from their patrol van and scolded the soldier for slapping his colleague and immediately other soldiers engaged him in a fight.

The source lamented one of the soldiers used a thick wood to hit his late brother’s head until he fell to the ground and could no longer move.

He said his injured brother was later rushed to the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH) for medical attention but died at the hospital.

READ  President Buhari's family allegedly escape plane crash

He said: “My brother and two other policemen drove one-way because of hold up. When they got to Eleme Petrochemical gate an Army man on mufti stopped them and they started quarrelling and later started fighting.

“One of the soldiers who later joined the fight and used a thick plank to hit my brother’s head and he fell and couldn’t move.

“He was subsequently rushed to the nearest hospital from where he was referred to UPTH and admitted at the ICU.

After 24 hours on admission, he gave up. Up until today, neither the police nor the military have said anything or taken action to bring the culprits to book.”

READ  Buhari Congratulates Elumelu On Naming Among 100 Most Influential People

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Nnamdi Omoni, said the command was aware of the incident but details of the incident were still sketchy.

When contacted, spokesman of the Nigerian Army, 6 Division in Port Harcourt, Charles Ekeocha, said he was yet to be briefed on the incident.

 

SOURCE: THE NATION NIGERIA

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

#ENDSARS: FG hunts down ENDSARS promoters, freezes accounts

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

There are strong indications and evidence that the federal government are seriously hunting down the #endsars promoters by freezing their bank accounts.

Recall there was a serious nationwide protest in Nigeria by the youth, which lasted for more than two weeks. the protest took place in some major cities in Nigeria including Ibadan, Lagos, Port Harcourt, Uyo, Onitsha Umuahia etc lead by prominent Nigerian youths.

Some promoters of the #endsars protest on Tuesday said that for over two weeks their account had been frozen, due to series of complaint Central bank ordered the accounts to be placed on “post no bill restriction”

READ  Former President Good luck Johnathan sends Independence message

Mr. Bassey Israel who was in charge of the port Harcourt #endsars medical team complained that his Access bank account has been frozen since October 15.

He said “I am in charge of End SARS medical team in Port Harcourt and we had people donating for medical supplies, food, water, ambulance services and these donations were made directly into my account and of course these donations had End SARS descriptions so I think that was how they were able to flag my account. I noticed that on October 15, I was trying to make a debit transaction on my account and noticed that there was a restriction.

“So, I called the bank and I was told that there was indeed a restriction but I should go to any branch near me and when I did so, the branch manager sent a mail to the branch where I opened the account. The response to the mail was that there was a directive from the CBN to restrict the account.
“The lady was surprised and even asked me if I had any issue with the CBN and I responded that if I had any issue with the CBN, I wouldn’t be in the bank in the first place, I would be on the run. I asked what could be done and she gave me no answer. She had to  show me the mail on her computer which I read. It was directly from the CBN and it read, ‘Place this account on PND.”
Another #endsars promoter Feyikemi Abudu, also confirmed in his twitter account that accounts of more protesters had been frozen.
Abdulmumin Isa, the acting Central Banks’s spoke’s man was reached through a phone call, he demanded for sometime to respond to this, its over one week now still no response from him.

READ  Man Impregnates Girlfriend, After Delivery Of Twins, Allegedly Sells Them For N150,000
Continue Reading

Latest News

Trump (President): “I have already won the election”

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Trump early Wednesday declared victory in the presidential race  Democratic nominee Joe Biden even as votes were still being counted and said he would be going to the Supreme Court in an attempt to stop ballot counting.
Trump pledged to take the matter to court to stop the counting of votes, an assertion that immediately drew strong criticism from media observers and seemed sure to further tear at an already badly divided nation.

Trump asserted that he had won states like Georgia, North Carolina and Michigan despite there still being tens of thousands of ballots still outstanding.

No media outlet has called a winner in those states, no election officials have declared a winner and Democratic nominee Joe Biden may still overtake Trump on the strength of mail ballots that are still being counted in states like Michigan and Wisconsin.

“This is a fraud on the American public. This is an embarrassment to our country. We were getting ready to win this election. Frankly, we did win this election,” Trump said in remarks from the East Room of the White House.

“This is a very big moment. This is a major fraud on our nation. We want the law to be used in a proper manner. So we’ll be going to the U.S. Supreme Court. We want all voting to stop. We don’t want them to find any ballots at four o’clock in the morning and add them to the list. It’s a very sad moment,” Trump continued.

READ  "It is our visa policy" British government to FG on possible visa ban

Vice President Mike Pence , speaking shortly after Trump, described them as “on the road to victory,” a notable shift from the president’s own remarks.
Former Sen. Rick Santorum, a Republican ally of Trump’s, said he was “very distressed” by what Trump had said.

“The president is prone as we all know to bluster and fits of pique, being upset about how he’s treated,” Santorum said.

Santorum said it was fine to say he believed he had won, as Biden did earlier, but “the idea of saying, using the word ‘fraud'” when people were counting votes was wrong. Santorum said it was not wrong for precincts in Pennsylvania to stop counting votes for the night to resume doing so later on Wednesday.

Trump is projected to win Ohio, Florida, and Texas, as well as a number of other reliably red states in the south, leaving his campaign cautiously optimistic.

READ  Missing 14 year old girl reportedly found murdered after being raped

A number of key battlegrounds where Trump has a lead remain undecided, including Georgia and North Carolina, and the outcome of the election appears to be coming down to the so-called “blue wall” states that Trump turned red in 2016 – Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.
Trump is currently leading the vote counts in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, but there are still tens of thousands of votes yet to be counted. Many of those are mail ballots, which are expected to break sharply for Biden.

Trump also took a veiled shot at Fox News during his remarks for calling the state of Arizona for Biden, something other networks have not done. Trump won Arizona’s 11 electoral votes in 2016, and losing the state would represent a significant setback.

At the time of Trump’s remarks, Biden had a lead over Trump in the electoral college. Biden delivered remarks earlier in the evening in which he expressed optimism about his path to victory.

“We feel good about where we are. We really do,” Biden said in brief remarks. “I am here to tell you tonight we believe we are on track to win this election.”

READ  Nigerian lady accuses her father (pastor) of raping her

The former vice president urged voters to be “patient” and wait until the final results are tallied. It may take until later Wednesday or longer to call the race in Michigan and Pennsylvania, for instance, the latter of which has an extension on the receipt of mail ballots sent by Election Day.

“We’re going to have to be patient until the hard work tallying the votes is finished,” Biden said in Delaware.

Biden said he felt good about Arizona, Georgia, Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, and noted that outlets had called Minnesota in his favor, despite Trump’s hopes to flip it.

Trump has railed against a Supreme Court decision allowing the extension to receive mail ballots in Pennsylvania, claiming baselessly that it would result in cheating and incite violence. Trump has repeatedly said that ballots received after Election Day should not be counted.

“We are up BIG, but they are trying to STEAL the Election. We will never let them do it. Votes cannot be cast after the Polls are closed!” Trump tweeted shortly after Biden’s remarks. His tweet was later labeled by Twitter as containing misleading content.

Continue Reading

Latest News

CORONA VIRUS: Corp members must undergo Covid-19 test before orientation-NCDC

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control NCDC) has announced that all corp members must be tested for corona virus with the new antigen based test before orientation.

The NCDC Director-General, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu speaking in Abuja Presidential Task Force briefing on COVID-19   on Tuesday said, “We will test everyone (corps members) and that will enable us to keep our camps safe and also help us understand what is going on in the rest of the country.”

“We know that corps members are normally young mobile population. Again, we are counting on not only the young people going to camps but parents; so we need the parents to support young people to do what they have to do”.

READ  Femi Gbajabiamila Strongly Urges Ghana To Revisit Law On $1m Business Capital

“We have been working extremely hard over the last two months with NYSC to reopen youth service camps. We have made a lot of progress to ensure that we can do that safely.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending