Connect with us

Latest News

Detention officers and a nurse face charges in Death of Inmate Who Pleaded, ‘I Can’t Breathe’

Emmanuel Eluwa

Published

on

Detention officers and a nurse face charges in Death of Inmate Who Pleaded,‘I Can’t Breathe’ FLLIQQA

Five Detention officers and a nurse have been charged for the death of an inmate who repeatedly exclaimed “I can’t breathe” at the North Carolina jail.

They are been charged with involuntary manslaughter of a black man as they tried unsuccessfully to remove his cuffs. The black man has been identified as John Neville, aged 56.

John Neville was booked into the Forsyth County jail in Winston-Salem, N.C., on Dec. 1., 2019, on a charge of assaulting a woman, according to the authorities. About 24 hours later, Mr. Neville experienced an unknown medical condition that caused him to fall from the top bunk of his cell and hit the concrete floor, according to the Forsyth County district attorney, Jim O’Neill.

READ  300 Level UNICAL Student Killed As Generator Explodes In Calabar

Speaking at a news conference Jim O’Neil said The detention officers and nurse on duty found John Neville disoriented and confused and took him to an observation cell. Although Mr. O’Neil didn’t explain in detail what happened next or say actually what role prosecutors believe the officers and the nurse had in Mr. Neville’s death. But he only told newsmen that  over the next 45 minutes, Mr. Neville “would sustain injuries that would eventually cause him to lose his life.”

According to Mr. O’Neil, the incident was captured on video. In the said video, Mr. Neville repeatedly said, “I can’t breathe” while officers tried to remove his handcuffs. he autopsy found that Mr. Neville died of a brain injury because of cardiopulmonary arrest that was caused by “positional and compressional asphyxia during prone restraint.” The report also cited other “significant conditions” that Mr. Neville had, Mr. O’Neill said, including “acute altered mental status” and asthma. Mr. Neville died on Dec. 4, 2019.

READ  Is aresenal going to survive after the transfer of their star player?

Recall the killing of a black man, George Floyd sometime last month at the hands of law enforcement officers which sparked a global protest against police brutality and systemic racism. Mr. Neville’s plea — “I can’t breathe” — was the same one uttered by Mr. Floyd and by Eric Garner, another Black man, who died in 2014 after a New York City police officer held him in a chokehold on a sidewalk.

Latest News

US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

US military forces rescued an American citizen in Nigeria, the Pentagon said on Saturday, days after he was kidnapped by gunmen in the south of neighbouring Niger and apparently taken across the border.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Walton is safe and in the care of the US State Department, the Pentagon said in a statement. US forces did not suffer any casualties in the rescue operation, it added.

“The United States is committed to the safe return of all US citizens taken captive,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a separate statement.

READ  One killed, others injured in Police, robbers gun duel

“We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen,” he said.

President Donald Trump hailed the rescue operation.

“Big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces today. Details to follow!,” he tweeted.

Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambe had earlier confirmed the hostage release to AFP without giving details about how he had been freed.

Local officials had said this week that the kidnappers had called the man’s father to demand a ransom, though the family did not confirm this.

Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and child for two years, according to his father, who himself has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Niger lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.

READ  PDP, Ohaneze, others express disappointment over President Buhari's Independence day speech

 

US forces have two drone bases in Agadez and Dirkou, in northern Niger. Their aircraft provide significant support to the French anti-jihadist Barkhane force.

In October 2017, four American Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush in Tongo Tongo, near Mali, in southwestern Niger.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

Several Westerners are currently being held hostage in the region, including American aid worker Jeffery Woodke, who was kidnapped in the central town of Abalak in 2016 and is believed to be in neighbouring Mali now.

Three Europeans, including 75-year-old French charity worker Sophie Petronin, were released by their captors in Mali earlier this month under a prisoner swap arranged by the Malian government.

In August, six French aid workers and two Niger citizens were killed in the Koure wildlife reserve west of Niamey, in an attack claimed by the so-called Islamic State group.ci

READ  Another SARS scandal arouses as father mourns the death of his son who was killed at Port Harcourt

Continue Reading

Latest News

FG threatens to make migration difficult for doctors

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Dr Osagie Ehanire, The Minister for Health, made it clear that the federal government will do everything within her power to discourage doctors from travelling outside Nigeria.

The Minister said that the government will provide adequate medical facilities and also provide incentives that will discourage the Doctors from traveling outside the country, he said this on Friday in Abuja after inspecting the Cancer Centre in the National Hospital Abuja.

He said “I have heard the challenge of doctors leaving the country. We have plans to provide better funding for our hospitals in Nigeria and make such migration unattractive,”

Dr Osagie Ehanire praised the hospital staffs and administration, and encouraged them to better, he urged the hospital to be ready incase the global corona virus resurface again as seen in other countries. He advised the hospital to make judicious use of the funds made available to them.

READ  Nigerians React To The Hike in Fuel Price

He added “Schools are resuming, people are travelling in and out the country so we must be prepared for any emergency”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Banks commence emergency system update due to threats from Anonymous

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

A global hacktivist network known as Anonymous stirred an aggressive campaign in Nigeria two weeks ago, Nigerian banks as part of the precautionary measure has decided embark on an immediate emergency upgrade.

Mohammed Abdullahi Minister of State for Science and Technology confirmed the threat from Anonymous, he clearly stated there was a well planned attacks on important government Databases.

Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Pantami, also  admitted that some government websites were tampered with. He said: ‘‘On my instruction, the NITDA and NCC worked almost round the clock last week to rectify the situation and ensure no vital data was compromised. I am happy the websites are back and running now.”

READ  Is aresenal going to survive after the transfer of their star player?

He also assured Nigerians that stringent measures have been take taken to avoid further attacks,  emphasized  for all the relevant organization to upgrade their system.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending