Connect with us

Politics

Donald Trump: Stop the fraud, Stop the Count.

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Donald Trump: Stop the fraud, Stop the Count.

Ahead of the announcement of the winner, President Donald Trump early yesterday morning launched a furious tweet demanding that the count be stopped, then said his campaign would sue in any state where former Vice President Joe Biden had already been declared a winner.

As at press time, the election outcome hinged on four battleground states: Nevada, Georgia, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania. Trump expressed confidence he will win the election but said his campaign will sue in the battleground states Joe Biden won, a sign his team is not confident the vote tallies will come out in his favour.

Additionally, Trump has demanded the nation stop counting votes in the presidential election as his campaign launched a lawsuit in Nevada, which could hand Biden the presidency should he win its six electoral votes.

The Nevada lawsuit matches legal action the Trump campaign has launched in Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia as Biden approaches the 270 electoral votes needed to win the presidency. In Wisconsin, a state called for Biden, the campaign has requested a recount.

‘All of the recent Biden claimed States will be legally challenged by us for Voter Fraud and State Election Fraud. Plenty of proof – just check out the Media. WE WILL WIN! America First!,’ Trump wrote on Twitter on Thursday morning.

READ  I'll Build a 20th Century Economy if Nigerians Make Me Their Next President, ORJI OZOR KALU

The Trump campaign had a brief legal victory in Pennsylvania on Thursday when a judge ruled ballot observers can watch officials count ballots within six feet. Representatives of both campaigns were in the room to watch the counts but at a further distance because of the coronavirus. A county judge agreed with the Trump campaign, but the state Supreme Court rejected it.

Meanwhile, American legal experts have said though Trump wants the United States Supreme Court to weigh in on a presidential race, it may not be the final arbiter in this election,.

Legal experts said that while there could be objections to particular ballots or voting and counting procedures, it was unclear if such disputes would determine the final outcome.

Ned Foley, an election law expert at Ohio State University, said the current election does not have the ingredients that would create a situation like in the 2000 presidential race, when the Supreme Court ended a recount in George W. Bush’s favor against Democrat Al Gore.

“It’s extremely early on but at the moment it doesn’t seem apparent how this would end up where the U.S. Supreme Court would be decisive,” Foley said.

READ  Umahi denies joining APC

If Biden secures 270 electoral votes without needing Pennsylvania, the likelihood of a legal fight in that state diminishes in any case, legal experts said. And any challenge would also need to make its way through the usual court hierarchy.

“I think the Court would summarily turn away any effort by the President or his campaign to short-circuit the ordinary legal process,” said Steve Vladeck, a professor at the University of Texas at Austin School of Law. “Even Bush v. Gore went through the Florida state courts first.”

Both Republicans and Democrats have amassed armies of lawyers ready to go to the mat in a close race. Biden’s team includes Marc Elias, a top election attorney at the firm Perkins Coie, and former Solicitors General Donald Verrilli and Walter Dellinger. Trump’s lawyers include Matt Morgan, the president’s campaign general counsel, Supreme Court litigator William Consovoy, and Justin Clark, senior counsel to the campaign.

Trump attorney Jenna Ellis has defended Trump’s bid to challenge the vote count and evaluate his legal options. “If we have to go through these legal challenges, that’s not unprecedented,” Ellis told Fox Business Network in an interview. “He wants to make sure that the election is not stolen.”

READ  "Those in the previous governments from 1999 – 2015 who presided over the near destruction of the country" President Buhari

Meanwhile, some of Trump’s aides yesterday privately acknowledged the chances of the President winning are now slim and were contemplating their next career steps. In public, the team remains insistent his path to victory is possible and even likely. “Donald Trump is alive and well,” campaign manager Bill Stepien told reporters on a morning conference call.

But that reality hasn’t appeared to have set in for the candidate himself. Trump made a series of phone calls overnight, stung that his lead in some states had vanished and convinced Biden is stealing the presidency. As at press time, Trump does retain a chance of winning, though has fewer roads to 270 electoral votes than his rival Biden.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

2023: No decision yet on zoning, says PDP

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

The Peoples Democratic Party has said that it is yet to decide on the zone to fly its flag in the 2023 presidential election.

It was reported that the Governor Bala Mohammed-led Peoples Democratic Party Committee on the Review of the 2019 General Elections, had recommended that the party should throw open the contest for its 2023 Presidential ticket.

The Chairman of the committee, Governor Bala Mohammed, said, “We think that every Nigerian from every part of the country should be given the opportunity to choose the best candidate through a credible primary election as a way of institutionalizing a merit-based leadership recruitment process for the country.”

READ  #ENDSARS: Osun State Governor's Convoy attacked by Protesters on 17/10/2020

In reaction, the PDP National Public Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, stated that the party has not adopted any of the recommendations issued by the Governor Bala Mohammed-led Committee.

He said, “Due to enquiries from our members and the general public, it has become imperative to clarify that PDP is yet to adopt any of the recommendations proposed by the Senator Bala Mohammed‘s Committee on the Review of the 2019 Elections.

“As such, it will be incongruous for anyone to assert that any decision has been taken by PDP on the zoning of the Presidency ahead of the 2023 general elections.

READ  "Those in the previous governments from 1999 – 2015 who presided over the near destruction of the country" President Buhari
Continue Reading

Politics

Bobi Wine: Ugandan election, most fraudulent

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Bobi Wine: Ugandan election, most fraudulent

“It’s Most Fraudulent Election In Uganda History” Bobi Wine Says, Rejects Election Result

The opposition candidate in Uganda presidential election, Bobi Wine, has accused the incumbent president, Yoweri Museveni, of fabricating the results of the election.
He described the poll as the most fraudulent election in the history of Uganda and urged citizens to reject the results.

 

Wine, a singer-turned-lawmaker, also said his home in the capital, Kampala, was surrounded by hundreds of soldiers and that the military was not allowing him to leave.The army’s deputy spokesman, Deo Akiiki, said security officers at Wine’s house were assessing threats he could face by going out: “So they might be preventing him in the interest of his safety.”Uganda Election Commission had declared incumbent Yoweri Museveni the winner of the Thursday presidential election.Chairman of the commission, Justice Simon Mugenyi Byabakama, said Museveni won 5.85 million votes, or 58.64 per cent, while main opposition candidate Bobi Wine got 3.48 million votes or 34.83 percent.
“The electoral commission declares Yoweri Museveni… elected President of the Republic of Uganda,” he said.

READ  #ENDSARS: Osun State Governor's Convoy attacked by Protesters on 17/10/2020

Museveni won in the Ugandan election

He said turnout was 57.22 per cent of the almost 18 million registered voters.
Byabakama urged the population to “remain calm and accept the outcome of these elections” while reminding those celebrating to be mindful of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Museveni has ruled Uganda without pause since seizing control in 1986 when he helped end years of tyranny under Idi Amin and Milton Obote. He is one of Africa’s longest-serving leaders.
Once hailed for his commitment to good governance, the former rebel leader has crushed any opposition and tweaked the constitution to allow himself to run again and again.
Wine, 38, meanwhile was on track to see his newly formed National Unity Platform (NUP) become the main opposition party in Parliament, notably winning eight of nine constituencies in the capital Kampala.
The poll followed one of the most violent campaigns in years, with harassment and arrests of the opposition, attacks on the media and the deaths of at least 54 people.

READ  "Those in the previous governments from 1999 – 2015 who presided over the near destruction of the country" President Buhari

Continue Reading

Latest News

Saturday News update 16th January 2021

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Saturday News update 16th January 2021

News in Nigeria Today Saturday 16th January 2021
Here are some of the Breaking News in Nigeria Today Saturday 16th January 2021 on some of the nation newspapers .

COVID-19 vaccine: NARD president urges FG to prioritise procurement
The National President of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), Dr. Okhuaihesuyi Uyilawa, has urged the Federal Government to prioritise the provision of the vaccine by sourcing urgent alternative funding to achieve this objective.  (Saturday News)

Logistics firm empowers 40 women at Onne

The oil and gas logistics company, INTELS Nigeria Limited, has completed the training of a fresh batch of 40 women under its Women Empowerment Programme Scheme Synergy (WEPSS). Since inception seven years ago, no fewer than 1,400 women, drawn from various communities across the country, have benefited from the empowerment scheme.

READ  "Those in the previous governments from 1999 – 2015 who presided over the near destruction of the country" President Buhari

Failure of past regimes to blame for Nigeria’s current situation, says Azuka

The former President of Ohanaeze Ndigbo in Kano State, Chief Chris Chukwubuzor Azuka, has urged Nigerians not to blame the President Muhammadu Buhari – led administration for the present ills of the country, saying that the present situation of the country is a cumulative effect of the failures of past administrations. (Saturday News)

Buhari vows to improve security, welfare of troops

President Muhammadu Buhari has promised a significant improvement of security in the country this year.This is as the country yesterday commenced the celebration of this year’s annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day across the country.

Failure to accept our limitations costing us dearly

READ  Ahmed Sami Yerima declares presidential bid

One of the biggest problems in this country our inability to acknowledge our failings which would then allow for proper reflection in order to ensure the same mistakes will not be repeated in future. This failing cuts across all areas afflicting both government and the private sectors and often leads to devastating consequences.  (Saturday News)

Kwara APC youths back removal of party chairman

Youths under the banner of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from the three senatorial districts in Kwara State have expressed unflinching support for the removal of Hon. Bashir Omolaja

C’River achieves $20.4m World Bank grants

Cross River State government has said it has achieved World Bank grants worth $20.4m given under States Fiscal Transparency Accountability and Sustainability (SFTAS) programme. The Commissioner for Finance, Asuquo Ekpenyong Jnr, disclosed this on Friday while briefing journalists on the achievement of his ministry  (Saturday News)

READ  Nigerian Minister looses his 13 year old daughter

Bagudu approves N2.4billion for constituency projects

Governor Abubakar Atiku Bagudu has approved the release of (N2.4billion) two billion four hundred million naira for constituency projects in the state. The projects are to be executed under various ministries, departments and agencies in fulfillment of the policy thrust of the incumbent administration of provision of dividends of democracy to the people.

Soun congratulates Alaafin on his golden jubilee coronation anniversary
Soun of Ogbomosoland, Oba Oladunni Oyewumi Ajagungbade III, has felicitated with Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, on the occasion of his 50th coronation anniversary.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending