Connect with us

Latest News

ENDSARS: NBC threatens to increase fine on tv stations

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Prof. Armstrong Acting Director-General of the National Broadcasting Commission(NBC) on Wednesday threatened to increase the fines already placed on Arise Tv, Channels Tv and African independent television(AIT).

Armstrong made this known in an interview with Arise Tv strictly monitored by flliqqa , the Acting Director General made it clear that the tv stations refused to comply to to the previous fine placed on them.

He said “Stations that have been fined have already responded. Some of them have actually paid their fines. Those who have not paid their fines are in further breach of the provisions of the law because what the law clearly says is that when you are sanctioned and you do not respond within time, the regulator has the right to upgrade the sanction and it is not a pleasing option. I hope that the regulator doesn’t get there.”

READ  Gov Okezie Victor Ikpeazu fumes as NSCDC officer shoots man to death in Abia

He added that NBC will not wave the fine for any of the TV channel “The matter can be only resolved when stations pay the fines. But beyond payment of fines, I will be more gratified if we have a robust free environment, one that the operator exercises his editorial liberty but not to the point of becoming the aggravator and the stimulant to mass destruction of properties.”

He insisted that the stations were too quick to publish/show unverified news (the Lekki toll gate shooting). 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Manchester United set to re-sign Ronaldo

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Manchester United has contacted Cristiano Ronaldo over a possible return to old Trafford during the summer transfer window.

The Portuguese international’s contract with Juventus is on till June 2022, the seria A champions has expressed worries that they can no longer pay his wage.

With strong interest from Paris Saint Germain, United has opened talks with the former Madrid forward.

According to FOX America journalist Christian Martin “Our sources in Manchester and Porto confirm that Manchester United tempted Cristiano Ronaldo with a return to the club for next season. The Portuguese star is considering it. Juventus will negotiate a deal it if Ronaldo asks for it. Martin made this known in his twitter account.

READ  Doctor confirms Donald Trump's corona virus status

Continue Reading

Latest News

Unknown disease kills 11 people in Ibadan LGA

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Unknown disease kills 11 people in Ibadan LGA

The people of Ibadan Oyo State capital, are currently living in fear due to the mysterious death of about 11 people.

And unidentified disease has claimed the lives of 11 people in the state. (Unknown disease)

Newspot gathered that the 11 people died as a result of strange disease in Lagelu local government area of Ibadan.

The cause of the sickness has not been ascertained as of the time of filing this report.

Caretaker Chairman, Lagelu local government, Mr. Abdullah Kelani confirmed that 11 persons have lost their lives so far.

He added that five persons are currently hospitalised.

READ  Doctor confirms Donald Trump's corona virus status

Kelani said that four persons have been discharged.

He said part of the immediate action taken by the government was to investigate the cause of the sickness. (Unknown disease)

Kelani added that investigation revealed that it was due to lack of access to clean and potable water by the affected persons.

Commissioner for Health, Dr Bashir Bello said the tests carried out on the affected persons are still premature and the samples collected have not confirmed the sickness to be cholera.

He, however, added that the surveillance and health officers sent to the local government to take samples and assess the situation reported the poor unhygienic and dirty environment where the victims reside. (Unknown disease)

READ  UNILAG Crisis: Another governing council member resigns

Bello added that these could have exposed them to all sorts of sickness and infection.

Bello said all the persons suffering from the sickness have been hospitalised and are all responding to treatment. (Unknown disease)

Continue Reading

Latest News

Newspaper headlines from across the country

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Newspaper headlines from across the country today Tuesday, 10th November 2020

1. Buhari Approves Sale Of Forfeited Assets Within 6 Months, Sets Up Committee
The sale of all assets deemed to have been illegally acquired and therefore forfeited to the federal government has been approved by President Muhammadu Buhari.

According to the presidential directive, all affected assets must be sold within the next six months so as to make more funds available to the government. (Newspaper headlines)

2. Muazu Takes Over From Yakubu As Acting INEC Chairman

Air Vice-Marshal Ahmed Muazu (retd) has on Monday, taken over in acting capacity from Professor Mahmood Yakubu as the chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

This comes as the 5-year tenure of Prof. Yakubu expired on Monday 9th November 2020.

Though he has been re-appointed for another 5-year term in office by President Muhammadu Buhari, his re-appointment is pending approval from the Senate. (Newspaper headlines)

3. Buhari Directs Enrollment Of Corps Members Into NHIS

The National Youths Service Corps has been directed by President Muhammadu Buhari to enroll corps members into the National Health Insurance Scheme.

READ  Man Impregnates Girlfriend, After Delivery Of Twins, Allegedly Sells Them For N150,000

The development was disclosed by the Director-General of NYSC, Brigadier-General Shuaibu Ibrahim, during a meeting with Bureau Chiefs, Media Executives and Correspondents in Abuja on Monday. (Newspaper headlines)

4. NCDC Warns Against Second Wave Of COVID-19

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Monday warned that Nigeria may experience a second wave of the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19).

The NCDC made this known through its Director-General, Dr. Chikwe Ihekweazu.

He stated this while speaking at an ongoing media briefing with newsmen organized by the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).

5. Top FG Official, 5 Others To Be Jailed In UAE For Funding Boko Haram With $782,000
Six Nigerians including a federal government official have been found guilty by an Abu Dhabi Federal Court of Appeal in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for allegedly providing money to the Boko Haram terrorist group in Nigeria.

(Newspaper headlines
The suspects were accused of facilitating cash transactions to the Boko Haram group to the tune of $782,000 between 2015 and 2016.

They had first been found guilty by a lower court in the UAE, prompting them to file an appeal and have now been found guilty by a higher court as well.

READ  Alleged N18m land scam lands Rivers’ man in court

6. Oil Workers Threaten Strike, Raise Fears Of Petrol Scarcity In Nigeria
The Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) has directed its members across the country to down tools, prompting fears of imminent petrol scarcity in the country.

Should the oil workers go ahead with their planned strike as contained in a letter, dated November 8, 2020, which was signed by the PENGASSAN General Secretary, Lumumba Okugbawa, Nigeria may experience the scarcity of Premium Motor Spirit, popularly called petrol.

7. Doctors Begin Indefinite Strike In Ondo State
Resident Doctors working in hospitals owned by the Ondo State government on Monday, started an indefinite strike action over disagreements with the government.

The doctors, operating under the aegis of the National Association of Resident Doctors, the University of Medical Sciences Teaching Hospital, Ondo chapter are demanding the payment of their outstanding salaries and allowances.

8. Boko Haram: FG Reacts To Conviction Of Six Nigerians In UAE
Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman, Nigerians In Diaspora Commission, on Monday reacted to the conviction of six Nigerians by the United Arab Emirates for wiring $782,000 to insurgent group Boko Haram.

READ  Donald Duke" Our leaders have failed the youths''

The Chairman of NIDCOM in a post on Twitter disclosed the affected persons and their jail terms.

She further stated that the convicts are permitted to approach the supreme court if they desire.

9. El-Rufai Presents Staff Of Office To Ahmad Bamalli As 19th Emir Of Zazau
The Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai on Monday presented the staff of office to Ahmad Nuhu Bamalli as the 19th Emir of Zazzau.

The Governor while speaking in Zaria during the presentation of the staff of office, wished the new Emir a successful and peaceful reign.

10. IPOB Trying To Cause Another Civil War- South-East Govs
Igbo people, especially business owners have been called on by South-East Governors to beware of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB.

The Chairman of the South-East Governors Forum, David Umahi led other governors from the region to the meeting which was held in Rivers State Government House, Port Harcourt.

That’s the top Nigerian newspaper headlines for today. Read more Nigerian news on Naija News. See you again tomorrow.

Source: Naija News

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending