Connect with us

Latest News

Hillary Clinton condemns Leki Toll gate killings.

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Former American Presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton has taken to her twitter handle to condemn the killings which occured at the Leki Toll gate.

Following the despicable act, the United Nations has called on the Muhammadu Buhari-led federal government to put an end to human rights violations and killings of citizens.

Deputy Secretary-general of the UN Amina Mohammed took to twitter and said “@UN & I are following the protests in #Nigeria calling for an end to human rights violations. I join the #UNSG in stressing the importance of respect for peaceful protests & freedom of assembly & call on the security forces to exercise maximum restraint.

“I’ve been asked about the ongoing protests in Nigeria and I can tell you that the Secretary-General is following the protests in Nigeria calling for the dissolution of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and an end to human rights violations allegedly committed by security agencies.

“The Secretary-General stresses the importance of respect for peaceful protests and freedom of assembly and calls on the security forces to exercise maximum restraint in the policing of the demonstrations,” Mohammed said earlier in a statement.

READ  Ooni of Ife narrates his daughters encounter with SARS

In a tweet, former US secretary of state and presidential candidate, Hillary Clinton asked President Muhammadu Buhari to stop the killing of the #EndSARS protesters.

‘I’m calling on @mbuhari and the @hqnigerianarmy to stop killing young #EndSARS protesters,” Clinton wrote, adding the hashtag, #StopNigeriaGovernment.

Her words were echoed by model and businesswoman Naomi Campbell, who in a tweet urged the Nigerian president to “please stop the violence that is killing the Bright and promising future of Nigeria.”

In another tweet, she called on Buhari to “be the head of state that sets an example!”

“STOP POLICE BRUTALITY!! STOP THE SPECIAL ANIT ROBBERY SQUAD. #ENDSARSNOW,” she wrote.

READ  Derek Chauvin, former Minneapolis police officer charged with the death of George floyd, released

Scenes of protestors removing a bullet from a wound apparently inflicted on a demonstrator were broadcast in a live video on Instagram, viewed by more than 100,000 accounts. Human rights group Amnesty International said it had obtained credible reports of deaths.

In a tweet, Nigerian star Burna Boy reached out to the UN and Amina Mohammed, saying that the “situation in Lagos is now out of control!!! You guys need to intervene even though I know there’s a protocol. This is SERIOUS!!”

Other notable figures condemning the attack on protesters at Lekki toll gate include footballer Idion Ighalo, who said he was “sad and heartbroken” at the developments.

READ  National Broadcasting station fines Channels, Arise Tv and AIT over lekki shootings

“Ngerian government, you guys are a shame to the world for killing your own citizens…sending the military to kill [unarmed] protesters…” the footballer said in a video posted to social media.

Musician Femi Kuti wrote: “Miltary for unarmed protesters to kill our children UNACCEPTABLE. #lekkitollgate WAS VERY PEACEFUL.”

Lagos state authorities have promised an investigation into the shooting and the Army has denied any involvement

 

Latest News

US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

US military forces rescued an American citizen in Nigeria, the Pentagon said on Saturday, days after he was kidnapped by gunmen in the south of neighbouring Niger and apparently taken across the border.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Walton is safe and in the care of the US State Department, the Pentagon said in a statement. US forces did not suffer any casualties in the rescue operation, it added.

“The United States is committed to the safe return of all US citizens taken captive,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a separate statement.

READ  APC expels lawmaker in Ondo state for conniving with Akeredolu's deputy

“We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen,” he said.

President Donald Trump hailed the rescue operation.

“Big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces today. Details to follow!,” he tweeted.

Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambe had earlier confirmed the hostage release to AFP without giving details about how he had been freed.

Local officials had said this week that the kidnappers had called the man’s father to demand a ransom, though the family did not confirm this.

Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and child for two years, according to his father, who himself has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Niger lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.

READ  WAEC Set to release SSSCE results by late October

 

US forces have two drone bases in Agadez and Dirkou, in northern Niger. Their aircraft provide significant support to the French anti-jihadist Barkhane force.

In October 2017, four American Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush in Tongo Tongo, near Mali, in southwestern Niger.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

Several Westerners are currently being held hostage in the region, including American aid worker Jeffery Woodke, who was kidnapped in the central town of Abalak in 2016 and is believed to be in neighbouring Mali now.

Three Europeans, including 75-year-old French charity worker Sophie Petronin, were released by their captors in Mali earlier this month under a prisoner swap arranged by the Malian government.

In August, six French aid workers and two Niger citizens were killed in the Koure wildlife reserve west of Niamey, in an attack claimed by the so-called Islamic State group.ci

READ  Ooni of Ife narrates his daughters encounter with SARS

Continue Reading

Latest News

FG threatens to make migration difficult for doctors

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Dr Osagie Ehanire, The Minister for Health, made it clear that the federal government will do everything within her power to discourage doctors from travelling outside Nigeria.

The Minister said that the government will provide adequate medical facilities and also provide incentives that will discourage the Doctors from traveling outside the country, he said this on Friday in Abuja after inspecting the Cancer Centre in the National Hospital Abuja.

He said “I have heard the challenge of doctors leaving the country. We have plans to provide better funding for our hospitals in Nigeria and make such migration unattractive,”

Dr Osagie Ehanire praised the hospital staffs and administration, and encouraged them to better, he urged the hospital to be ready incase the global corona virus resurface again as seen in other countries. He advised the hospital to make judicious use of the funds made available to them.

READ  "increase in the price of fuel and electricity tariff will benefit ordinary Nigerians in the long run" Lai Mohammed.

He added “Schools are resuming, people are travelling in and out the country so we must be prepared for any emergency”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Banks commence emergency system update due to threats from Anonymous

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

A global hacktivist network known as Anonymous stirred an aggressive campaign in Nigeria two weeks ago, Nigerian banks as part of the precautionary measure has decided embark on an immediate emergency upgrade.

Mohammed Abdullahi Minister of State for Science and Technology confirmed the threat from Anonymous, he clearly stated there was a well planned attacks on important government Databases.

Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Pantami, also  admitted that some government websites were tampered with. He said: ‘‘On my instruction, the NITDA and NCC worked almost round the clock last week to rectify the situation and ensure no vital data was compromised. I am happy the websites are back and running now.”

READ  Reps Call For Sack Of Service Chiefs Over Unabated Security Challenges

He also assured Nigerians that stringent measures have been take taken to avoid further attacks,  emphasized  for all the relevant organization to upgrade their system.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending