Connect with us

Latest News

Manchester United are set to sign former Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani.

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

 

Manchester United are set to sign former Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani.

The 33-year-old is a free agent having left PSG at the end of last season and he is expected to fly into Manchester on Sunday ahead of completing a move before Monday’s transfer deadline.

It is understood that a deal would be for a year with the option for a further 12 months, with the move for Cavani giving Ole Gunnar Solskjaer an alternative option up front.

Odion Ighalo, who has been acting as back-up since January, will head back to Shanghai Shenhua in the new year, with the Nigerian having struggled for form and regular minutes since the restart.

READ  Arsenal Fc Confirms signing Of Midfielder Marcelo

 

Solskjaer has tried to move away from signing senior players and has focused on bringing young, British talent to the club since he took over as manager when Jose Mourinho was sacked.

While Cavani goes against that trend, it is understood the club believe bringing in a proven winner can help to further the development of the younger players.

The Uruguay international scored 200 goals in 301 games for PSG in the seven years he was there after moving from Napoli back in 2013.

The deal for Cavani is not expected to have any impact on the last-minute transfer business United are trying to complete ahead of Monday evening’s deadline.

READ  Police man accused of numerous crimes [SARS]

Jadon Sancho is still a priority target despite Borussia Dortmund being adamant that the winger is not going anywhere – sporting director Michael Zorc again reiterated on Saturday that United had missed their chance to sign the Englishman.

The club are also working on alternative options should a deal for Sancho not be able to be finalised, with Barcelona winger Ousmane Dembele one of the names on the Plan B list.

There has, however, not been a formal bid put to the Catalan giants and United would only be interested in bringing the 23-year-old in on a season-long loan deal, should the move for Sancho collapse.

READ  Lampard says he knew Christensen would be sent off

In terms of outgoings, discussions are continuing with Roma over a permanent deal for Chris Smalling, who impressed during his loan spell at the Italian side last season.

Full-back Diogo Dalot and midfielder Andreas Pereira are also due to head to Serie A, with the former on the verge of joining AC Milan on loan and the latter having joined Lazio.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

US military forces rescued an American citizen in Nigeria, the Pentagon said on Saturday, days after he was kidnapped by gunmen in the south of neighbouring Niger and apparently taken across the border.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Walton is safe and in the care of the US State Department, the Pentagon said in a statement. US forces did not suffer any casualties in the rescue operation, it added.

“The United States is committed to the safe return of all US citizens taken captive,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a separate statement.

READ  José Mourinho shares his thoughts on Manchester United signing Cavani

“We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen,” he said.

President Donald Trump hailed the rescue operation.

“Big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces today. Details to follow!,” he tweeted.

Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambe had earlier confirmed the hostage release to AFP without giving details about how he had been freed.

Local officials had said this week that the kidnappers had called the man’s father to demand a ransom, though the family did not confirm this.

Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and child for two years, according to his father, who himself has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Niger lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.

READ  Paul Pogba extends his contract with Manchester United

 

US forces have two drone bases in Agadez and Dirkou, in northern Niger. Their aircraft provide significant support to the French anti-jihadist Barkhane force.

In October 2017, four American Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush in Tongo Tongo, near Mali, in southwestern Niger.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

Several Westerners are currently being held hostage in the region, including American aid worker Jeffery Woodke, who was kidnapped in the central town of Abalak in 2016 and is believed to be in neighbouring Mali now.

Three Europeans, including 75-year-old French charity worker Sophie Petronin, were released by their captors in Mali earlier this month under a prisoner swap arranged by the Malian government.

In August, six French aid workers and two Niger citizens were killed in the Koure wildlife reserve west of Niamey, in an attack claimed by the so-called Islamic State group.ci

READ  Tiktok's final deal with the US might extend past the elections

Continue Reading

Latest News

FG threatens to make migration difficult for doctors

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Dr Osagie Ehanire, The Minister for Health, made it clear that the federal government will do everything within her power to discourage doctors from travelling outside Nigeria.

The Minister said that the government will provide adequate medical facilities and also provide incentives that will discourage the Doctors from traveling outside the country, he said this on Friday in Abuja after inspecting the Cancer Centre in the National Hospital Abuja.

He said “I have heard the challenge of doctors leaving the country. We have plans to provide better funding for our hospitals in Nigeria and make such migration unattractive,”

Dr Osagie Ehanire praised the hospital staffs and administration, and encouraged them to better, he urged the hospital to be ready incase the global corona virus resurface again as seen in other countries. He advised the hospital to make judicious use of the funds made available to them.

READ  Tiktok's final deal with the US might extend past the elections

He added “Schools are resuming, people are travelling in and out the country so we must be prepared for any emergency”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Banks commence emergency system update due to threats from Anonymous

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

A global hacktivist network known as Anonymous stirred an aggressive campaign in Nigeria two weeks ago, Nigerian banks as part of the precautionary measure has decided embark on an immediate emergency upgrade.

Mohammed Abdullahi Minister of State for Science and Technology confirmed the threat from Anonymous, he clearly stated there was a well planned attacks on important government Databases.

Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Pantami, also  admitted that some government websites were tampered with. He said: ‘‘On my instruction, the NITDA and NCC worked almost round the clock last week to rectify the situation and ensure no vital data was compromised. I am happy the websites are back and running now.”

READ  #ENDSARS: Withdraw soldiers from the street Soyinka tells Governors

He also assured Nigerians that stringent measures have been take taken to avoid further attacks,  emphasized  for all the relevant organization to upgrade their system.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending