Connect with us

Latest News

NECO Suspends SSCE exams due to nationwide violence and protests.

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

NECO Suspends SSCE exams due to nationwide violence and protests.

The National Examination Council, NECO has suspended their Senior School Certificate Exams SSCE due to the present security situation in the country.

We gathered that the examination body has ordered its staff, examiners and invigilators to return to their offices and await any instruction from the authorities.

This decision followed the 24 hours curfew which was imposed in most parts of the country mostly in Lagos and Edo state where the #EndSARS protests have taken a violent turn.

NECO had already had their Economics examination on tuesday and their Physics practical was written on wednesday but some students/candidates were not able to partake in the examination due to the imposed curfew on some parts of the state.

READ  Hillary Clinton condemns Leki Toll gate killings.

The Director of Examination Administration was the one who sent a message which confirmed the suspension of the NECO examinations.

NECO wrote in their letter saying,

The Management and Governing Board of the National Examination Council NECO is compelled by circumstances occasioned by the ENDSARS protest which led to the imposition of curfews in some states thereby making it difficult for the council to move sensitive materials across the country, to put on hold papers for thursday 22, friday 23 and saturday 24th October 2020.

The papers will be written between 17th to 19th November after computer practical paper on the 16th. Examinations will continue on the 27th of October.

All officers are hereby directed to return to base and await further directives on the 25th.

State ministries of education, schools, parents, supervisors, monitoring officers and other stakeholders should be adequately sensitized”

NECO senior officials have said that it is very difficult for them to continue examinations in the country’s present situation.

READ  Don Jazzy joins in Nationwide protest against the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS)

They also added that,

“we are monitoring the situation, when things normalize we will sit to decide the next line of acrion.

NECO announced on sunday that it suspended one of its papers which was meant to be written on monday.

Latest News

US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

US military forces rescued an American citizen in Nigeria, the Pentagon said on Saturday, days after he was kidnapped by gunmen in the south of neighbouring Niger and apparently taken across the border.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Walton is safe and in the care of the US State Department, the Pentagon said in a statement. US forces did not suffer any casualties in the rescue operation, it added.

“The United States is committed to the safe return of all US citizens taken captive,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a separate statement.

READ  Don Jazzy joins in Nationwide protest against the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS)

“We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen,” he said.

President Donald Trump hailed the rescue operation.

“Big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces today. Details to follow!,” he tweeted.

Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambe had earlier confirmed the hostage release to AFP without giving details about how he had been freed.

Local officials had said this week that the kidnappers had called the man’s father to demand a ransom, though the family did not confirm this.

Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and child for two years, according to his father, who himself has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Niger lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.

READ  Police brutality continues in Nigeria even as SARS is dissolved

 

US forces have two drone bases in Agadez and Dirkou, in northern Niger. Their aircraft provide significant support to the French anti-jihadist Barkhane force.

In October 2017, four American Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush in Tongo Tongo, near Mali, in southwestern Niger.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

Several Westerners are currently being held hostage in the region, including American aid worker Jeffery Woodke, who was kidnapped in the central town of Abalak in 2016 and is believed to be in neighbouring Mali now.

Three Europeans, including 75-year-old French charity worker Sophie Petronin, were released by their captors in Mali earlier this month under a prisoner swap arranged by the Malian government.

In August, six French aid workers and two Niger citizens were killed in the Koure wildlife reserve west of Niamey, in an attack claimed by the so-called Islamic State group.ci

READ  #ENDSARS/CROCODILE SMILE: Protesters others warn Buhari and Buratai against deploying troops

Continue Reading

Latest News

FG threatens to make migration difficult for doctors

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Dr Osagie Ehanire, The Minister for Health, made it clear that the federal government will do everything within her power to discourage doctors from travelling outside Nigeria.

The Minister said that the government will provide adequate medical facilities and also provide incentives that will discourage the Doctors from traveling outside the country, he said this on Friday in Abuja after inspecting the Cancer Centre in the National Hospital Abuja.

He said “I have heard the challenge of doctors leaving the country. We have plans to provide better funding for our hospitals in Nigeria and make such migration unattractive,”

Dr Osagie Ehanire praised the hospital staffs and administration, and encouraged them to better, he urged the hospital to be ready incase the global corona virus resurface again as seen in other countries. He advised the hospital to make judicious use of the funds made available to them.

READ  Leicester City belittles Manchester City

He added “Schools are resuming, people are travelling in and out the country so we must be prepared for any emergency”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Banks commence emergency system update due to threats from Anonymous

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

A global hacktivist network known as Anonymous stirred an aggressive campaign in Nigeria two weeks ago, Nigerian banks as part of the precautionary measure has decided embark on an immediate emergency upgrade.

Mohammed Abdullahi Minister of State for Science and Technology confirmed the threat from Anonymous, he clearly stated there was a well planned attacks on important government Databases.

Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Pantami, also  admitted that some government websites were tampered with. He said: ‘‘On my instruction, the NITDA and NCC worked almost round the clock last week to rectify the situation and ensure no vital data was compromised. I am happy the websites are back and running now.”

READ  Police man accused of numerous crimes [SARS]

He also assured Nigerians that stringent measures have been take taken to avoid further attacks,  emphasized  for all the relevant organization to upgrade their system.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending