Connect with us

Latest News

Nigerian govt continues attacks on CNN, says TV ‘sinking’

Sharon Agbai

Published

on

CNN had earlier published its investigation on the Lekki shootings based on eyewitness reports and videos that were geolocated from various protesters.

The Nigerian government has continued its attacks on CNN after it reported on the shooting of protesters in the country, sayingthe American channel has been “grasping at straws in desperation” to justify its “inaccurate and unbalanced” coverage.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, said in his latest tirade that the use of “unverified videos” and “non-adherence to the basic tenets of journalism” had landed the broadcaster in “trouble”.

CNN had earlier published its investigation on the Lekki shootings based on witness reports and videos that were geolocated from various protesters.

The Nigerian government wrote to the television to complain, demanding a review of the report.

On Thursday, CNN clarified the Lekki death toll it tweeted on October 23 which said that “at least 38 people were killed.”

READ  Ebonyi State Governor Defects from PDP to APC

In its clarification, the news network said the tweet “did not make it clear that the death toll was for protests across the country”.

At a meeting on Friday with members of the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria (BON) in Abuja, Mr Mohammed said, “since we sent our letter, CNN has been grasping at straws in desperation, to justify its inaccurate and unbalanced investigation.”

“But in the process, it is sinking more and more into professional infamy. Yesterday, November 26 that is, in the clearest indication yet of its confusion over the Lekki Toll Gate incident, CNN tried to clarify its tweet of October 23 by saying it never attributed the death toll of 38 to Amnesty International and that the tweet also did not make it clear that the death toll was for protests across the country.”

READ  FG to ban SIM cards without NIN registration

Mr Mohammed said CNN’s tweet about the death toll was ambiguous.

 

“But the big lesson to draw from CNN’s faux pas is that it magnifies the failure or inadequacy of our own broadcast organisations.

“In the wake of our spat with CNN, people are asking: Why didn’t our own broadcast stations take the lead in reporting the incident at Lekki? Why didn’t they take the lead in presenting an authentic narrative? Why must we allow the foreign broadcast stations, some of which didn’t even have correspondents on the ground, to dictate the pace, thus misleading the world?

Dangote adbanner 728x90_2 (1)
“These are questions begging for answers and I think for BON, this must form part of their review of the coverage of the whole crisis.

Mr Mohammed restated his call for the regulation of social media which he claimed was used in the protest to guide arsonists and looters to certain properties, both public and private.

READ  Top Newspaper headlines of 24th November 2020

“This brings me to the issue of social media regulation. You must have heard about the hoopla this issue has generated in the media.

“Well, I want to confirm that we will definitely act to ensure the responsible use of social media. You may call that regulation.

“But that is not the same as stifling press freedom or free speech. No. Fake news and disinformation are not the same as free speech. This government has no plan to stifle free speech, neither do we have any intention of shutting down the internet.

Get more news at flliqqa.com

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Saturday News update 16th January 2021

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Saturday News update 16th January 2021

News in Nigeria Today Saturday 16th January 2021
Here are some of the Breaking News in Nigeria Today Saturday 16th January 2021 on some of the nation newspapers .

COVID-19 vaccine: NARD president urges FG to prioritise procurement
The National President of the National Association of Resident Doctors (NARD), Dr. Okhuaihesuyi Uyilawa, has urged the Federal Government to prioritise the provision of the vaccine by sourcing urgent alternative funding to achieve this objective.  (Saturday News)

Logistics firm empowers 40 women at Onne

The oil and gas logistics company, INTELS Nigeria Limited, has completed the training of a fresh batch of 40 women under its Women Empowerment Programme Scheme Synergy (WEPSS). Since inception seven years ago, no fewer than 1,400 women, drawn from various communities across the country, have benefited from the empowerment scheme.

READ  OHANAEZE NDIGBO ELECTION IS CREDIBLE- Prof Gregory Ibe

Failure of past regimes to blame for Nigeria’s current situation, says Azuka

The former President of Ohanaeze Ndigbo in Kano State, Chief Chris Chukwubuzor Azuka, has urged Nigerians not to blame the President Muhammadu Buhari – led administration for the present ills of the country, saying that the present situation of the country is a cumulative effect of the failures of past administrations. (Saturday News)

Buhari vows to improve security, welfare of troops

President Muhammadu Buhari has promised a significant improvement of security in the country this year.This is as the country yesterday commenced the celebration of this year’s annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day across the country.

Failure to accept our limitations costing us dearly

READ  Nigeria vs Algeria, what we learnt

One of the biggest problems in this country our inability to acknowledge our failings which would then allow for proper reflection in order to ensure the same mistakes will not be repeated in future. This failing cuts across all areas afflicting both government and the private sectors and often leads to devastating consequences.  (Saturday News)

Kwara APC youths back removal of party chairman

Youths under the banner of the All Progressives Congress (APC) from the three senatorial districts in Kwara State have expressed unflinching support for the removal of Hon. Bashir Omolaja

C’River achieves $20.4m World Bank grants

Cross River State government has said it has achieved World Bank grants worth $20.4m given under States Fiscal Transparency Accountability and Sustainability (SFTAS) programme. The Commissioner for Finance, Asuquo Ekpenyong Jnr, disclosed this on Friday while briefing journalists on the achievement of his ministry  (Saturday News)

READ  Don Jazzy joins in Nationwide protest against the Special Anti Robbery Squad (SARS)

Bagudu approves N2.4billion for constituency projects

Governor Abubakar Atiku Bagudu has approved the release of (N2.4billion) two billion four hundred million naira for constituency projects in the state. The projects are to be executed under various ministries, departments and agencies in fulfillment of the policy thrust of the incumbent administration of provision of dividends of democracy to the people.

Soun congratulates Alaafin on his golden jubilee coronation anniversary
Soun of Ogbomosoland, Oba Oladunni Oyewumi Ajagungbade III, has felicitated with Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi III, on the occasion of his 50th coronation anniversary.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Federal Government warns against large gatherings

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Federal Government warms against large gatherings

The FG has warned against large gatherings as schools resume on Monday.

It is no more news that the resumption of school activities is close. The FG announced that the resumption of school activities remains on 18th January.

Over crowding and large gatherings in school has been banned by the federal government in a bid to safe guard the lives of students against contracting the deadly corona-virus.

The banning of large gatherings by the federal government is coming few days to the resumption of school activities (18th January).

 

Nevertheless, there were mixed reactions from various Nigerians on twitter towards the banning of large gatherings in schools.

READ  Ebonyi State Governor Defects from PDP to APC

The FG also advised all students to follow all Covid-19 protocols inorder to stay safe at all time.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Covid-19 update: 1867 new cases in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Covid-19 update: 1867 new cases in Nigeria

1867 new cases of #COVID19Nigeria;

Lagos-713
Plateau-273
FCT-199
Kaduna-117
Oyo-79
Enugu-58
Ondo-53
Kano-49
Sokoto-43
Ogun-37
Osun-37
Nasarawa-36
Rivers-28
Benue-24
Delta-24
Niger-24
Gombe-18
Edo-15
Taraba-12
Bayelsa-10
Ekiti-9
Borno-6
Zamfara-2
Jigawa-1

107,345 confirmed
84,535 discharged
1,413 deaths

Covid-19 update

Our discharges today include 277 community recoveries in Lagos State, 150 in Kaduna State and 78 in Plateau State managed in line with guidelines.

 

 

READ  Ebonyi State Governor Defects from PDP to APC
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending