Connect with us

Latest News

Nigerian traders decry Ghanaian authorities’ refusal to open their locked shops

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

The Nigeria Union of Traders Association in Ghana (NUTAG), on Monday, decried Ghanaian authorities’ refusal to open shops owned by Nigerians, even after several meetings between top officials of both governments. Nigerian traders decry ghanian authorities’ refusal to open their locked shops

The President of NUTAG, Mr. Chukwuemeka Nnaji disclosed this in a telephone interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja.

According to him, it is unfortunate that Nigerian traders’ shops have remained locked even after visits by Mr. Femi Gbajabiamila, Speaker of the House of Representatives, and Vice President Yemi Osinbajo to Ghana.

“The locking of shops belonging to Nigerians by Ghanaian authorities hinders our doing business lawfully.

READ  Tragedy: Two Junior Secondary School students crushed to death in Kwara auto crash

“The Ghanaian government should have as a matter of bilateral relations paid attention to us by being open in its decision to tackle our trade difficulties in the host country.

“I think every plea from the Nigerian government has fallen on deaf ears of the Ghanaian authorities, which is ready to destabilise and destroy our businesses to favour their citizens.

“Our shops are still shut down; most shops shut down since Dec. 2, 2019, were only opened to give tax assessment for the current year by Ghana revenue authorities.

“I am aware most of our members complied; all the documents on Ghana Investment Promotion Council (GIPC) presented are original, not fake,’’ he said.

READ  Nigerian govt continues attacks on CNN, says TV ‘sinking’

Nnaji said it was not true that Nigerian traders did not have genuine documents for the shops.

“I think the Ghanaian government is working on an agenda aimed at discouraging the influx of Nigerians to Ghana and the growth of Nigerian businesses in their country.

“I wish that our government would take this Ghanaian agenda very seriously to stop Nigerians from losing all their life earnings in Ghana,” he added.

Nnaji said that many Nigerian traders had already returned home with their families following the closure of their shops.

He also said that those who could not relocate to Nigeria before their shops were shut down “are now stuck in Ghana with little or no money to be able to survive.”

READ  Goodluck Johnathan slams critics, says he didn't hand over a broken nation to Buhari

Nnaji said that the association had begun the compilation of names of people severely affected by the action of the Ghanaian authorities for evacuation by the Federal Government.

SOURCE: THE NATION (NAN)

Latest News

Insecurity: Reps Ask Buhari To Declare State Of Emergency

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

WORRIED by the worsening security situation in the country, the House of Representatives on Tuesday urged President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately declare a state of emergency on insecurity to effectively curb the ugly development.

The Speaker, Honourable Femi Gbajabiamila, disclosed this while reading the resolutions approved after a fourhour executive session held on the floor of the Green Chamber, during which lawmakers condemned attacks on security agents and formations across the country.

To this end, the House resolved to invite the National Security Adviser (NSA), Babagana Mongunu; the service chiefs and other heads of various paramilitary agencies to appear before it and brief the members on the security situation in the country.

READ  Woman sets ex-lover’s girlfriend, house ablaze

The House also mandated all its security committees to immediately commence comprehensive audit of all military and paramilitary assets and arms in the Armed Services and revert back to the House within four weeks.

Gbajabiamila, who read the resolution, said: “The House reiterates its commitment to the security and corporate existence of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and would, therefore, accelerate its engagement with stakeholders on a special security summit to be organised by the House of Representatives.

“The House should urgently invite the NSA, service chiefs, and paramilitary chiefs, Controller-General of the Nigeria Customs Service and the Managing Director of NIGCOMSAT to brief the House on the security situation in the country.

READ  APC Nullifies Fayemi, Others Suspension In Ekiti

“Considering the security situation, the President should immediately declare a state of emergency on insecurity so as to fast track all measures to ensure the restoration of peace in the country.

“Call on the judiciary to accelerate the prosecution of those awaiting trial due to banditry, terrorism and other criminal activities.

“Provide emergency relief to all communities that have been adversely affected by recent attacks across the country.

“The President should as a matter of urgency, ensure financial autonomy to Local Government Councils to guarantee their functionality to serve the local populace.

“The Federal Government should ensure the protection of National Infrastructure assets, particularly the  Shiroro and Kainji Dams in Niger State. 

READ  Nigeria vs Algeria, what we learnt

“The House mandated all its Security Committees to immediately commence comprehensive audit of all military and paramilitary assets and arms in our Armed Services and revert back to the House within four weeks.

“That the number of personnel in the Police and Military falls far short of the required number to effectively secure the country and calls for immediate recruitment to this effect,” the resolution read.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Buhari Is Helping Fulanis Take Over, There Is No Govt in Nigeria – Governor Ortom

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom has accused President Muhammadu Buhari of working for Fulanis. He said the country has no government following incessant killings by bandits and Fulani herdsmen in his state.

He lamented that over 70 people have been murdered in two weeks in Makurdi Local Government Area. Ortom spoke to protesters on Tuesday at the Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp in Abagena village. Suspected herdsmen, Monday night, killed citizens and wounded many others. “What is happening now, to me, is very clear; Mr President is just working for these Fulanis to take over the whole country.”

He said Buhari’s body language is what is being played out and that the action and inaction of Mr President “shows that he is only the President of Fulani people”. Ortom decried that attackers regularly send indigenes away from their homes, yet go to kill them where they take refuge.

READ  Nigeria vs Algeria, what we learnt

Ortom called them “Fulani herdsmen”, stressing that They are not bandits. They are Fulanis. We saw and heard them speak the language.” The Benue helmsman stated that the federal authorities have been dragging foot on the matter.

“If the federal government had taken a proactive step, we will not be where we are. In the last two weeks, over 70 persons have been killed just in Makurdi Local Government Area alone.”

Noting that the situation is not acceptable, Ortom said similar killings were going on in Guma and Gwer-West. Ortom recalled he alerted Nigerians when Fulanis from 14 countries met in Yola, the Adamawa State capital.

READ  CORONA VIRUS: Corp members must undergo Covid-19 test before orientation-NCDC

He said they declared that except the prohibition of open grazing law was reviewed, “Benue will not know peace.” The governor wondered why the federal government was yet to arrest the leaders of Miyetti Allah that hosted the meeting. “It means we don’t have a government”, he declared.

“Mr President must do the needful and I want to suggest that immediately, let there be a security summit. I am aware that the situation is prevalent in other parts of the country.”
On Monday, the police command in Benue State also confirmed the kidnap of three students of the Federal University of Agriculture in Makurdi.

READ  Five Yahoo Boys Die In Ghastly Accident While Playing With New Lexus Car In Delta

Continue Reading

Latest News

Freeze Pantami’s Accounts – Rinu Oduala Urges CBN

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

An #EndSARS campaigner, Rinu Oduala, has urged the Central Bank of Nigeria to freeze the bank accounts of the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Pantami, over his past controversial comments supporting the activities of terrorist groups including Taliban and Al-Qaeda.

Pantami had since renounced his radical pro-terrorists comments, saying he now knows better but Nigerians have been unsparing and relentless in the call for the resignation or sacking of the minister.

Oduala, who tweeted via @SavvyRinu on Thursday, urged the CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele to freeze Pantami’s accounts just as the apex bank swiftly froze the accounts of at least 20 #EndSARS promoters last year over terrorism-related allegations.

“Godwin Emefiele, when are you going to freeze the bank accounts of Isa Pantami?”

The PUNCH had reported that the apex bank through an ex parte order froze the accounts of Oduala and 19 other persons who played a role in the October 2020 #EndSARS protests against police brutality and extrajudicial killings.

The CBN had said the accounts were frozen because of the nature of the investigation which was terrorism-related but after about three months, a Federal High Court in Abuja ordered the apex bank to unfreeze the accounts of the 20 #EndSARS protesters.

Oduala, a leading voice during the #EndSARS protests last year, had pulled out of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry probing alleged killing of protesters by soldiers at the Lekki toll gate. She had faulted the decision of the retired Justice Doris Okuwobi-led panel to reopen the toll gate when justice hasn’t been served to the victims of the October 20, 2020 Lekki shootings.

READ  Goodluck Johnathan slams critics, says he didn't hand over a broken nation to Buhari
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending