Connect with us

Politics

Ondo 2020: Gov. Akeredolu explains family role in the government.

Smart Lebe

Published

on

Akeredolu explains family’s role in govt, while Ajayi justifies absence from debate.

Mr Akeredolu denies paying huge sums to his son as consultancy fees.

The Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, on Sunday shed light on the roles his wife and son, Betty and Babajide, play in his government.

He said none of them are employees of the state government and so do not draw remunerations from the government.

Mr Akeredolu was responding to a question during the Ondo Election Debate held at the International Event Centre in Akure on Sunday.

He had been accused of running a government of father, son and wife, with the implication of paying huge sums to his son as consultancy fees.

Mrs Akeredolu has constantly been accused of cornering juicy contracts and controlling government agencies.

The deputy governor, Agboola Ajayi, had alleged that Mr Akereolu’s son, Babajide, made a whopping sum of N433 million from a N4.3billion allegedly stashed in a secret account of the state government.

The controversial N4.3 billion was kept in a secret account for over 10 years, generating interest until it was uncovered in May 2020 during an auditing of the state accounts.

Mrs Akeredolu is known for her Breast Cancer initiative, a platform she has used to assist women suffering from breast cancer through enlightenment and financial and medical assistance.

The Sunday debate was attended by Mr Akeredolu, the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Eyitayo Jegede, and Oyeleye Fasua of the Social Democratic Party.

READ  Buhari congratulates Obaseki on Edo State election victory

 

Mr Akeredolu said he ran a “government of the people, for the people and by the people,” and dismissed the allegation of his son being paid huge sums as incorrect.

He said he was, however, proud that he had a son who was assisting him in what he was doing in government.

“I pray that you all should have children who can be of help to you. I am happy I have a son who is helping me, that is what parents are desiring from their children,” he said.

“My wife brought Brecan before I became governor. She has her office here and she has been helping women and touching lives even before I became governor of the state.

“Let anyone who has any evidence that my son collected consultancy fees produce the evidence. Let anybody come out with the evidence that my son is a consultant, instead of making baseless allegations.”

The governor vowed to sue those making the allegations if they fail to substantiate them.

Mr Jegede was asked a personal question of his role in influencing his relatives to positions in government during the Olusegun Mimiko administration, where he served as Attorney-General for nearly eight years.

READ  APC expels lawmaker in Ondo state for conniving with Akeredolu's deputy

In response, he said his brothers were career civil servants who rose to the pinnacle of their careers before he got into government.

He, however, used the opportunity to criticise Mr Akeredolu’s alleged style of using his family to run the government, saying it was wrong and against the oath of office to allow his children and wife to be involved in the administration of the state.

According to Mr Jegede, his wife would not be involved in the running of his government nor would he allow his children to be consultants.

Mr Fasua on his part stunned the audience when he responded that he would certainly involve his wife and children in the running of government if elected governor.

He argued that there would be no success if he did not get the backing of his wife and family in whatever he does.

Mr Fasua said his wife remained the backbone of his businesses and she is the registrar of his college of education, which he said had produced 40,000 graduates.

The debate was hosted by a consortium of media organisations, labour unions, civil societies and religious bodies.

But the deputy governor, Agboola Ajayi, who is the candidate of the Zenith Labour Party, did not attend even though he was invited by the organisers.

READ  Kaduna State House of Assembly approves N233.6bn 2020 budget

“We invited the candidates of the APC, the PDP, ZLP and the SDP for this debate and none of the candidates showed any sign that he will not attend as of one hour to the programme,” Akinwunmi Abodunde, the anchor of the debate, said.

Mr Ajayi had defected from the APC to the PDP to seek the governorship ticket, but failed and later secured the ticket of the ZLP.

“We don’t have confidence in the organisers and they are not likely to be fair to our candidate,” Tope Okeowo, an aide to the deputy governor, said.

He said most of the media organisations and those who ran the show had sympathies for the governor.

According to him, Mr Abodunde, the anchor of the debate, and members of the team are employees of the state government, noting that Mr Abodunde works for the state-owned Orange FM 104.5.

“If the deputy governor attended there would be trouble because the organisers are those earning money from the state government,” Mr Okeowo said. “You can see how the moderator favoured the governor in the distribution of the questions.”

The PDP candidate, Eyitayo Jegede, arrived late to the debate, citing engagements with the security chiefs in the state over the violent attacks against his supporters.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Buhari rejects Amnesty reports, gives ministers one week to submit ENDSARS reports

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

The President Muhammadu Buhari has given ministers one week ultimatum to submit reports of their consultations with their constituents on the ongoing #ENDSARS protests which had been hijacked by hoodlums thereby resulting in a state of lawlessness in different parts of the country.

Recall that President Buhari had at last week’s Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting told the Ministers to go and interface with their constituents in a bid to stop the looting and burning of government and private properties by hoodlums as aftermath of the protest against police brutality.

It was gathered that President Buhari has given the cabinet members one week to turn in their reports on their town hall meeting with their consultants.

The Presidency Thursday rejected the report of Amnesty International alleging that the report on the Lekki shootings was skewed.

The Presidency said the Amnesty International cannot have more facts about things happening in the country than the President

Speaking at the Sunrise Daily, a Channels Television programme, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Chief Femi Adesina, disputed the allegations that the looting and rioting was not caused by the military shootings, insisting that there was already violence in some parts of the country before the Lekki incident.

READ  Nigerian Newspaper Headlines for today Saturday, 24th October 2020

Fielding question that the looting was a fall out of the Lekki shootings, Adesina said, “You are not quite correct. You are falling for the narrative of Amnesty International. And Amnesty is wrong. Anarchy had broken loose before even Lekki. The prisons in Benin and Oko had been broken open before Lekki. Orile police station had been burnt before Lekki.

“Many policemen had been burnt before Lekki. So, you cannot say it was Lekki that precipitated all those things. Look at the timelines, look at all those things. You will discover that it had happened before Lekki. So, you are falling for the gambit of Amnesty International.

“Amnesty International does not have all the facts, they don’t run this country, they shouldn’t know beyond what they have been told. They shouldn’t know more than you and I should know as media people as watchers of developments.”

Asked if it was the President’s thinking that Amnesty’s report was wrong, Chief Adesina alleged that Amnesty International was in the habit of making unsubstantiated reports about Nigeria.

According to him, “Many times, the military has come out to dispute facts brought out by Amnesty.”

When asked whether President Buhari approved the military action in Lekki as the commander-in-chief, the presidential Spokesman said he would not want to undermine the work of the panel of inquiry looking into the matter.

READ  Borno state Governor Urges communities to support security agencies to end insurgency

Speaking on the directives to ministers to visit states to douse tentions in their respective states, Adesina said: “I can tell you because there was another Federal Executive Council meeting yesterday (Wednesday), the president asked for briefs from ministers who went out. Only two had their reports ready as at yesterday because some others were still in their respective states still carrying out their assignment.

“So, the president said all of them should turn in their reports through the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in the incoming week.”

Asked what to expect out of the reports, Adesina said: “Well, it can only be positive.

“One, it will help us to establish the truth to something’s because there are a lot of conjectures, colourations, outright falsehoods, fake news and all that. The ministers can come with what is near authentic based on the consultations they are going to make.”

The Water Resources Minister Sulaiman Adamu, had during a courtesy call to Governor Muhammadu Badaru Abubakar of Jigawa State in Dutse, disclosed that ministers were directed to meet with stakeholders to explain federal government’s efforts to meet the demands of the youths.

READ  Kaduna State House of Assembly approves N233.6bn 2020 budget

He had said that the cabinet members were directed to “go to our states to solicit the support of political, traditional, religious and community leaders against the violence that emanated from # EndSARS protests.”

Adamu had said he was therefore in the state to meet with leaders on “promoting tolerance, peace and stability in this critical moment and hear from them and report back to him (Buhari) immediately.”.

Adamu had also acknowledged that the #ENDSARS protests started well and was in line with the Nigerian constitution only to be hijacked along the line by those who infringed on the rights of other citizens, killed innocent persons, looted and engaged in other criminal acts.

He said: “President Muhammad Buhari is soliciting the support of all other political leaders in the state to properly address the people of the state on the need to dispel any rumour that is tantamount to creating disunity among Nigerians and also throw the nation into crisis.”

The Minister of State for Power, Prince Jedy-Agba was in Cross River State few days ago with his constituents on the matter.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Nigerian Newspaper Headlines for today Saturday, 24th October 2020

Sharon Agbai

Published

on

Good morning Nigeria, welcome to roundup of top Newspaper headlines in Nigeria for today Saturday, 24th october 2020. 

Here are the major Nigerian Newspaper Headlines:

 

Finally, President Buhari breaks silence on the #Lekkimassacre:

After various criticism from various Nigerians from Home and abroad, President Muhammadu Buhari has finally expressed great sympathy of the massacre at the Lekki  toll gate area of Lagos state. It has been reported earlier that soldiers of the Nigerian Army invaded a peaceful protest in the evening, Tuesday 20 october at Lekki toll gate killing #ENDSARS protesters in the process

 

#ENDSARS: Police Blames IPOB(indigenous People of Biafra), for Burning Police Station, Killing Officer in Rivers: 

The Rivers state command of the Nigerian Police has blamed the members of the Indigenous People of Biafra for the violence that happened in some parts of the state recently.

Specifically, clashes have been reported in Oyigbo Local Government area of the state, causing the Governor Nyesom Wike to declare a 24-hour curfew in some local Government area due to the insurgency caused by the hoodlums hiding under the disguise of the #ENDSARS protesters in the state.

 

#LEKKIMASSACRE: “We Counted 15 Corpses’- Dj Switch Recounts:

READ  2023:former Governor Of Anambra state says that the south east will go on thier knees to beg other zones.

Obianuju Udeh, a popular Nigerian disc jockey known as DJ Switch, says she and other #ENDSARS protesters counted 15 corpses at the Lekki toll gate when men in Army Uniform shot at peaceful protesters on tuesday evening 20 october.

 

 Abdulrazaq Imposes 24-hour Curfew In Kwara:

Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq of Kwara State has declared a 24-hour Curfew on the state from midnight today, Saturday. Governor Abdulrazaq made this known in a statewide broadcast on Midland 99.1 FM.

 

Buhari finally acknowledges civilian deaths in the Protests:

   President Muhammadu Buhari admits that over 69 people has been killed in protests against Police brutality that has taken over the country.

He made the comments in an emergency meeting with former Nigerian leaders aimed at finding ways to end the unrest.

The deaths were mainly civilians with a chunk of the number from the Lekki toll gate killings, but also include police officers and soldiers

 The People Will Always Win – Jonathan Speaks, Condemns Attack On #EndSARS Protesters

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has condemned the Tuesday shooting of #EndSARS protesters by security operatives at the Lekki toll gate plaza area in Lagos State. Jonathan who acknowledged that the past few days have been difficult for all Nigerians however called on all parties to embrace peace and dialogue, nothing that no country makes progress while fighting.

READ  Kaduna State House of Assembly approves N233.6bn 2020 budget

 

 Buhari Cannot Cry For Those Killed – Aisha On #LekkiMassacre

President Muhammadu Buhari cannot cry again for those killed, Aisha Yesufu, a Nigerian socio-political activist, and co-convener of the Bring Back Our Girls (BBOG) movement has said. It had reported earlier that soldiers of the Nigerian Army invaded a peaceful protest at Lekki toll gate on Tuesday evening, October 20, killing #EndSARS protesters in the process.

 

Buhari In A Meeting With Obasanjo, Jonathan, Former Heads Of State Emerge

President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday noted that the peaceful protest calling for an end to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, was hijacked by hoodlums and misdirected. The President stated this during his meeting with former Heads of State and Presidents of Nigeria, Friday in Abuja

 

 #EndSARS: Gov Ayade Imposes Curfew In Cross River

Governor Ben Ayde of Cross River State has imposed a 24-hour curfew on the state. This was made known in a statement signed by the Special Adviser Media and Publicity to the governor, Christian Ita.

 

 Shoprite Burgled, Kwara Residents Invade COVID-19 Palliatives Warehouse, Escape With Food Items

Residents of Ilorin, the Kwara State capital on Friday, stormed the warehouses where the government stored COVID-19 palliatives expected to be distributed to citizens. The warehouses, located at the cargo warehouse of the International airport in Ilorin as well as the agro-mall located in the Sango area of the state were totally ransacked as residents struggled to pack as much food items as they could.

READ  Borno state Governor Urges communities to support security agencies to end insurgency

 

 Another COVID-19 Palliative Warehouse Discovered In Osun, Looted By Residents

Residents of the south-western state of Osun on Friday, descended on a COVID-19 palliative warehouse located in Ede, carting away various food items and packages. The warehouse, located at Cocoa Products Industry Nigeria Limited, Ede-Osogbo road, Ede North, Osun State is believed to be owned by the Osun State government.

 

#EndSARS: Obaseki Extends Escaped Inmates Ultimatum

Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State on Friday extended the ultimatum given to escaped inmates from Benin prisons. It had been reported that the Edo governor had initially given the fleeing inmates until Friday, October 30 to return.

 

That is the top Nigerian Newspaper Headlines for today, read more at flliqqa.com

 

 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Governor Sanwo Olu claims that there where no caualties

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

Governor Babajide Sanwo Olu, the Governor of Lagos State has claimed that there was no causality from the attack on peaceful protester by officers of the Nigerian Army, at the Lekki Toll Gate Plaza.

There have been ongoing protests in Nigeria over two weeks with citizens agitating for the scrapping of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, over flagrant disregard of their human right.

However, that took a grief-stricken turn in Lekki, Lagos state on Tuesday night as defenceless protesters were gunned down by soldiers, following an alleged order by the Lagos state government to security forces to crackdown on defaulters of a hastily imposed restriction.

The shooting led to the death of several people as many were also injured.

READ  MASSOB opts out IPOBs sit at home order on October 1

Security operatives had stormed the scene of the protest after the Lagos Government announced a 24-hour curfew and opened fire, with the intent to kill many people.

As many turned up to social media to share the Live video clips of the tragic incident, many people could be seen with various degrees of injuries. The scale of the damage could not be ascertained.

The Nigerian Army has come out to deny involvement in the attacks, despite LIVE video evidences, and now the Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has claimed that there was no fatality recorded.

He made this known during a live broadcast which was aired on Channels TV.

READ  Nigerian Newspaper Headlines for today Saturday, 24th October 2020

His claims has left many Nigerians in more shock, at they express displeasure at the level of deception by the Nigerian government.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending