Connect with us

Latest News

Police mistook our son for ‘yahoo boy’, chased him to untimely death – Family

Emmanuel Eluwa

Published

on

The family of a 21-year-old man chased to his death on Tuesday by police officers attached to Osun Joint Task Force in Osogbo has denied the report that he was an internet fraudster.

When our reporter visited their residence at Ofatedo in Egbedore Local Government Area of Osun State on Thursday, the family members said the victim, Idris Ajibola, was an apprentice in aluminium fabrication.

He was chased to his death by police officers while returning from Osun Mall in Osogbo where he had gone to buy bread with his three friends, they said.

“The car police saw with them belongs to the father of one of the friends. The police simply tagged them internet fraudster because of the car seen with them. My son just came back from Sagamu in Ogun State last week where he was learning aluminium fabrication,” the deceased’s father, who simply gave his name as Mr Ajibola, cried.

READ  IPOB Orders Sit At Home For October 1

Damilare Opadotun, an uncle to the late Idris, said “Idris went to Osun Mall with his friends. On their way back, they noticed JTF chasing them. But as young boys, out of fear, they could not wait, until they swerved off the road.”

Rukayat Ajibola, an elder sister to Idris, called on the Inspector-General of Police, Muhammad Adamu, and the Osun State Government to investigate the death of her brother.

“I urge the government and IGP to investigate my brother’s death. The government should do something about the killing of youth in the country.”

Protests

Following the incident on Tuesday, some youth stormed the streets in protest. They vandalised vehicles and dumped the body of Idris at Government House in Oke-Fia in Osogbo.

READ  US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

On Wednesday, the youth continued the protest by burning tyres on major roads in Osogbo.

While the police teargassed the protesters in Ofatedo, many officers were also attacked by the angry youth.

The spokesperson of the police in Osun, Yemisi Opalola, said three officers sustained injuries and were treated at the police hospital in Osogbo.

SOURCE: premuimtimesng

Blogger by day, and web designer and content creator by night egusi soup lover. What's your superpower?

Continue Reading
1 Comment

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

US military forces rescued an American citizen in Nigeria, the Pentagon said on Saturday, days after he was kidnapped by gunmen in the south of neighbouring Niger and apparently taken across the border.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Walton is safe and in the care of the US State Department, the Pentagon said in a statement. US forces did not suffer any casualties in the rescue operation, it added.

“The United States is committed to the safe return of all US citizens taken captive,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a separate statement.

READ  Chelsea Fc has released list of players to perform in upcoming UEFA Championship

“We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen,” he said.

President Donald Trump hailed the rescue operation.

“Big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces today. Details to follow!,” he tweeted.

Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambe had earlier confirmed the hostage release to AFP without giving details about how he had been freed.

Local officials had said this week that the kidnappers had called the man’s father to demand a ransom, though the family did not confirm this.

Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and child for two years, according to his father, who himself has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Niger lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.

READ  #ENDSARS: Janet Jackson declares support for Nigerian youths

 

US forces have two drone bases in Agadez and Dirkou, in northern Niger. Their aircraft provide significant support to the French anti-jihadist Barkhane force.

In October 2017, four American Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush in Tongo Tongo, near Mali, in southwestern Niger.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

Several Westerners are currently being held hostage in the region, including American aid worker Jeffery Woodke, who was kidnapped in the central town of Abalak in 2016 and is believed to be in neighbouring Mali now.

Three Europeans, including 75-year-old French charity worker Sophie Petronin, were released by their captors in Mali earlier this month under a prisoner swap arranged by the Malian government.

In August, six French aid workers and two Niger citizens were killed in the Koure wildlife reserve west of Niamey, in an attack claimed by the so-called Islamic State group.ci

READ  US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Continue Reading

Latest News

FG threatens to make migration difficult for doctors

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Dr Osagie Ehanire, The Minister for Health, made it clear that the federal government will do everything within her power to discourage doctors from travelling outside Nigeria.

The Minister said that the government will provide adequate medical facilities and also provide incentives that will discourage the Doctors from traveling outside the country, he said this on Friday in Abuja after inspecting the Cancer Centre in the National Hospital Abuja.

He said “I have heard the challenge of doctors leaving the country. We have plans to provide better funding for our hospitals in Nigeria and make such migration unattractive,”

Dr Osagie Ehanire praised the hospital staffs and administration, and encouraged them to better, he urged the hospital to be ready incase the global corona virus resurface again as seen in other countries. He advised the hospital to make judicious use of the funds made available to them.

READ  Nigerians voice their opinions on the self certification form

He added “Schools are resuming, people are travelling in and out the country so we must be prepared for any emergency”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Banks commence emergency system update due to threats from Anonymous

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

A global hacktivist network known as Anonymous stirred an aggressive campaign in Nigeria two weeks ago, Nigerian banks as part of the precautionary measure has decided embark on an immediate emergency upgrade.

Mohammed Abdullahi Minister of State for Science and Technology confirmed the threat from Anonymous, he clearly stated there was a well planned attacks on important government Databases.

Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Pantami, also  admitted that some government websites were tampered with. He said: ‘‘On my instruction, the NITDA and NCC worked almost round the clock last week to rectify the situation and ensure no vital data was compromised. I am happy the websites are back and running now.”

READ  PDP, Ohaneze, others express disappointment over President Buhari's Independence day speech

He also assured Nigerians that stringent measures have been take taken to avoid further attacks,  emphasized  for all the relevant organization to upgrade their system.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending