Connect with us

Latest News

SARS: IGP shares light on new Anti-Robbery unit

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

SARS: IGP shares light on new Anti-Robbery unit FLLIQQA

The IGP Mohammed Adamu talks on training of new anti-robbery unit

He made this known in his meeting with Nigerian musician David Adeleke also known as Davido

He said that a new task force needs to be formed since the disbandment of the Special Anti Robbery Squad [SARS]

IGP Adamu also said that this new force would be properly trained and not prone to violence like the notorious SARS and they will have specific duties and will only act where their help is needed

Adamu also said that talking with davido was the best way to deal with the situation of riots and protests all around the country

READ  Minister of Youths and Sports development urged popular Nigerian singer, Naira Marley, to stop mass action scheduled to protest the excesses of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

These protests are held because the people are in major disbelieve towards the fact that SARS has been dissolved. They said they wanted the president himself to declare the disbandment of the squad publicly.

the IGP also stated this,

we just disbanded the Special Anti Robbery Squad yesterday, so protesters should calm down and give us time to fix the problem. The general public will be part of the process of getting a new outfit. I’m talking to you [Davido] so, i will keep talking to many others and get their inputs towards the new unit.”

the IGP also said that the compensation of the families of innocent Nigerians who were involved in the violence and brutality of the Special Anti Robbery Squad would be looked into.

READ  300 Level UNICAL Student Killed As Generator Explodes In Calabar

Davido requested the release of all who were wrongfully imprisoned by SARS.

The IGP also added that SARS officers would go into a period of retraining and would not be put into the new force.

SARS has been on rampage ever since the corona virus lockdown began in Nigeria. they have tortured and tormented Nigerian youths. They were known to arrest any young man they see with a laptop, flashy cars, dreadlocks and creative dressings. Nigerians were happy with the news of their disbandment but request that more should be done.

 

Latest News

US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

US military forces rescued an American citizen in Nigeria, the Pentagon said on Saturday, days after he was kidnapped by gunmen in the south of neighbouring Niger and apparently taken across the border.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Walton is safe and in the care of the US State Department, the Pentagon said in a statement. US forces did not suffer any casualties in the rescue operation, it added.

“The United States is committed to the safe return of all US citizens taken captive,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a separate statement.

READ  Police mistook our son for ‘yahoo boy’, chased him to untimely death – Family

“We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen,” he said.

President Donald Trump hailed the rescue operation.

“Big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces today. Details to follow!,” he tweeted.

Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambe had earlier confirmed the hostage release to AFP without giving details about how he had been freed.

Local officials had said this week that the kidnappers had called the man’s father to demand a ransom, though the family did not confirm this.

Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and child for two years, according to his father, who himself has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Niger lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.

READ  Minister of Youths and Sports development urged popular Nigerian singer, Naira Marley, to stop mass action scheduled to protest the excesses of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

 

US forces have two drone bases in Agadez and Dirkou, in northern Niger. Their aircraft provide significant support to the French anti-jihadist Barkhane force.

In October 2017, four American Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush in Tongo Tongo, near Mali, in southwestern Niger.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

Several Westerners are currently being held hostage in the region, including American aid worker Jeffery Woodke, who was kidnapped in the central town of Abalak in 2016 and is believed to be in neighbouring Mali now.

Three Europeans, including 75-year-old French charity worker Sophie Petronin, were released by their captors in Mali earlier this month under a prisoner swap arranged by the Malian government.

In August, six French aid workers and two Niger citizens were killed in the Koure wildlife reserve west of Niamey, in an attack claimed by the so-called Islamic State group.ci

READ  IGP creates new police unit called SWAT to replace SARS

Continue Reading

Latest News

FG threatens to make migration difficult for doctors

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Dr Osagie Ehanire, The Minister for Health, made it clear that the federal government will do everything within her power to discourage doctors from travelling outside Nigeria.

The Minister said that the government will provide adequate medical facilities and also provide incentives that will discourage the Doctors from traveling outside the country, he said this on Friday in Abuja after inspecting the Cancer Centre in the National Hospital Abuja.

He said “I have heard the challenge of doctors leaving the country. We have plans to provide better funding for our hospitals in Nigeria and make such migration unattractive,”

Dr Osagie Ehanire praised the hospital staffs and administration, and encouraged them to better, he urged the hospital to be ready incase the global corona virus resurface again as seen in other countries. He advised the hospital to make judicious use of the funds made available to them.

READ  American policeman shoots a black man in front of his mother.

He added “Schools are resuming, people are travelling in and out the country so we must be prepared for any emergency”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Banks commence emergency system update due to threats from Anonymous

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

A global hacktivist network known as Anonymous stirred an aggressive campaign in Nigeria two weeks ago, Nigerian banks as part of the precautionary measure has decided embark on an immediate emergency upgrade.

Mohammed Abdullahi Minister of State for Science and Technology confirmed the threat from Anonymous, he clearly stated there was a well planned attacks on important government Databases.

Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Pantami, also  admitted that some government websites were tampered with. He said: ‘‘On my instruction, the NITDA and NCC worked almost round the clock last week to rectify the situation and ensure no vital data was compromised. I am happy the websites are back and running now.”

READ  Buhari rejects Amnesty reports, gives ministers one week to submit ENDSARS reports

He also assured Nigerians that stringent measures have been take taken to avoid further attacks,  emphasized  for all the relevant organization to upgrade their system.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending