Connect with us

Latest News

Tragedy in Kogi State as tanker explodes and lives are lost

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

The Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, Kogi State Command, has confirmed the death of twenty-three (23) persons in a tanker explosion that occurred in the early hours of Wednesday along Felele – Nataco axis of Abuja – Lokoja road.

DAILY POST reports that the accident involved a tanker loaded with petroleum product, a school bus, cars, tricycles and motorcycles.

Confirming the incident on Wednesday afternoon, the Kogi State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps, Mr Idris Ali gave the figures of the victims to include ten adult male, six female adult, three female children and four other children burnt beyond recognition.

READ  "Those in the previous governments from 1999 – 2015 who presided over the near destruction of the country" President Buhari

Mr Ali, however, said one child escaped death with injury.

The Sector Commander said ten vehicles including five cars, one taker, three tricycles and two motorcycles were involved in the accident.

He added that eleven of the corpses have already been claimed by their relatives while the rest have been deposited in the morgue at the Kogi State Specialist hospital, Lokoja.

An eyewitness account said the tanker failed break at GT Plaza at Felele and rammed into the vehicles in its front causing the fatal accident.

A whole family of six who were caught in the inferno all died before help could come their way.

READ  Borno state Governor Urges communities to support security agencies to end insurgency

Our reporter gathered that sympathizers watched helplessly as no fire fighting vehicles from the state or federal fire services came to the scene to put off the fire.

Meanwhile, the Governor of Kogi State, Alhaji Yahaya Bello has expressed shock over the unfortunate fatal tanker explosion which took place in the early hours of Wednesday 23, September, around the Felele area of Lokoja metropolis.

In a statement by Onogwu Muhammed, Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, the Governor is very sad to learn of the tragic loss of lives in the petrol tanker explosion.

Governor Bello in the statement expressed his deepest condolences to the family of those affected by the ugly incidence.

READ  COVID-19: Ganduje orders ease of lockdown in Kano

He said, “this is sadly the greatest tragedies the state has witnessed in recent times. The unfortunate accident is a sad development. I share the feeling of those who lost their loved ones in this incident”.

The Governor also urged the students of Kogi State Polytechnic to remain calm and peaceful, stating that he equally shared in their grieving moment over the death of some of their colleagues in the disaster”.

Latest News

US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

US military forces rescued an American citizen in Nigeria, the Pentagon said on Saturday, days after he was kidnapped by gunmen in the south of neighbouring Niger and apparently taken across the border.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Walton is safe and in the care of the US State Department, the Pentagon said in a statement. US forces did not suffer any casualties in the rescue operation, it added.

“The United States is committed to the safe return of all US citizens taken captive,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a separate statement.

READ  Passengers burnt beyond recognition in Anambra

“We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen,” he said.

President Donald Trump hailed the rescue operation.

“Big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces today. Details to follow!,” he tweeted.

Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambe had earlier confirmed the hostage release to AFP without giving details about how he had been freed.

Local officials had said this week that the kidnappers had called the man’s father to demand a ransom, though the family did not confirm this.

Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and child for two years, according to his father, who himself has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Niger lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.

READ  Pastor Sam Adeyemi joins millions of Nigerians to demand for restructuring

 

US forces have two drone bases in Agadez and Dirkou, in northern Niger. Their aircraft provide significant support to the French anti-jihadist Barkhane force.

In October 2017, four American Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush in Tongo Tongo, near Mali, in southwestern Niger.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

Several Westerners are currently being held hostage in the region, including American aid worker Jeffery Woodke, who was kidnapped in the central town of Abalak in 2016 and is believed to be in neighbouring Mali now.

Three Europeans, including 75-year-old French charity worker Sophie Petronin, were released by their captors in Mali earlier this month under a prisoner swap arranged by the Malian government.

In August, six French aid workers and two Niger citizens were killed in the Koure wildlife reserve west of Niamey, in an attack claimed by the so-called Islamic State group.ci

READ  Borno state Governor Urges communities to support security agencies to end insurgency

Continue Reading

Latest News

FG threatens to make migration difficult for doctors

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Dr Osagie Ehanire, The Minister for Health, made it clear that the federal government will do everything within her power to discourage doctors from travelling outside Nigeria.

The Minister said that the government will provide adequate medical facilities and also provide incentives that will discourage the Doctors from traveling outside the country, he said this on Friday in Abuja after inspecting the Cancer Centre in the National Hospital Abuja.

He said “I have heard the challenge of doctors leaving the country. We have plans to provide better funding for our hospitals in Nigeria and make such migration unattractive,”

Dr Osagie Ehanire praised the hospital staffs and administration, and encouraged them to better, he urged the hospital to be ready incase the global corona virus resurface again as seen in other countries. He advised the hospital to make judicious use of the funds made available to them.

READ  APC expels lawmaker in Ondo state for conniving with Akeredolu's deputy

He added “Schools are resuming, people are travelling in and out the country so we must be prepared for any emergency”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Banks commence emergency system update due to threats from Anonymous

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

A global hacktivist network known as Anonymous stirred an aggressive campaign in Nigeria two weeks ago, Nigerian banks as part of the precautionary measure has decided embark on an immediate emergency upgrade.

Mohammed Abdullahi Minister of State for Science and Technology confirmed the threat from Anonymous, he clearly stated there was a well planned attacks on important government Databases.

Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Pantami, also  admitted that some government websites were tampered with. He said: ‘‘On my instruction, the NITDA and NCC worked almost round the clock last week to rectify the situation and ensure no vital data was compromised. I am happy the websites are back and running now.”

READ  FG approves reopening of schools

He also assured Nigerians that stringent measures have been take taken to avoid further attacks,  emphasized  for all the relevant organization to upgrade their system.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending