Connect with us

Latest News

U.S. cancels visas of more than 1,000 Chinese nationals deemed security risks

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

The U.S. has revoked visas for more than 1,000 Chinese nationals under a presidential measure denying entry to students and researchers deemed security risks, the State Department said on Wednesday.

This is a move China called a violation of human rights.

The acting head of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Chad Wolf, said earlier that Washington was blocking visas “for certain Chinese graduate students and researchers with ties to China’s military fusion strategy to prevent them from stealing and otherwise appropriating sensitive research.”

In a speech, Mr Wolf repeated U.S. charges of unjust business practices and industrial espionage by China, including attempts to steal coronavirus research, and accused it of abusing student visas to exploit American academia.

Mr Wolf said the U.S. was also “preventing goods produced from slave labour from entering our markets, demanding that China respect the inherent dignity of each human being,” an apparent reference to accusations of abuse of Muslims in western Xinjiang.

READ  WAEC student in Akwa Ibom tests positive for covid-19

As of September 8, 2020, the department has revoked more than 1,000 visas of PRC nationals who were found to be subject to Presidential Proclamation 10043 and therefore ineligible for a visa,” she said.

She said the ineligible “high-risk graduate students and research scholars” were “a small subset” of the Chinese coming to the U.S. for study and research, and that legitimate students and scholars would continue to be welcomed.

About 360,000 Chinese nationals study in the U.S., bringing its colleges significant revenue, though the COVID-19 pandemic has severely disrupted the return to campus this autumn semester.

In Beijing on Thursday, a foreign ministry spokesperson described the U.S. move as “naked” political persecution and racial discrimination that seriously violated human rights.

READ  NCDC Confirms COVID-19 Cases in Cross Rivers

“China reserves the right to make a further response on this issue,” Zhao Lijian told a daily media briefing.

China-U.S. relations have sunk to historic lows with the world’s two biggest economies clashing over issues ranging from trade and human rights to Hong Kong and the coronavirus.

Mr Trump, who had touted friendly ties with Chinese President Xi Jinping as he sought to make good on promises to rebalance a massive trade deficit, has made getting tough on China a key part of his campaign for re-election on November 3.

He has accused his Democratic opponent, Joe Biden, who leads in national opinion polls, of being soft toward Beijing.

Some Chinese students enrolled in U.S. universities said they learnt of the cancellations in emailed notices received on Wednesday from the U.S. embassy in Beijing or consulates in China.

In a WeChat chatroom, more than 70 holders of F-1 visas, both postgraduates and undergraduates, said the notices advised them to seek new visas if they wanted to travel to the U.S.

READ  American President Donald Trump tests positive for Corona Virus

Many said they were majoring in subjects such as science, technology, engineering and mathematics.

Some said they had secured bachelor’s degrees at Chinese universities with links to the People’s Liberation Army.

A final-year undergraduate student of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign expressed shock at getting the notice.

The only reason he could think of could be prior experience at the Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications (BUPT), he said.

The university is known for its defence and security technology research.

“I studied at BUPT before year two, but I have no connections with that university since,” he said on condition of anonymity as the subject is sensitive.

SOURCE: (Reuters/NAN/PREMIUM TIMES)

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

21 people confirmed dead in an auto crash at Enugu State.

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

21 people have been confirmed dead in an auto crash at Enugu State

Twenty-one people, including schoolchildren, have died in an accident in Enugu State, south-east Nigeria.

The Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) in Enugu, Ogbonna Kalu, confirmed the incident on Thursday.

He explained that the nature of the accident was a collision that involved a school bus and a trailer in the state.

Kalu added that the incident happened at Mgbowo in Awgu Local Government Area of the state, saying it was as a result of dangerous driving.

 

The Federal Road Safety Corps, on Thursday, confirmed the death of 21 people, including school children, in an auto crash at Mgbowo in Awgu Local Government Area of Enugu State.

READ  WAEC student in Akwa Ibom tests positive for covid-19

The Enugu Sector Commander, Mr Ogbonna Kalu, who confirmed the incident, said the accident occurred on Wednesday afternoon.

He said the accident involved a school bus and trailer.

The commander blamed the accident on speeding beyond the limit and dangerous driving.

Kalu said, “21 persons have been confirmed dead and more than 50 persons were in the school bus.

“Also of note is that not all the deaths were school children. Those working on the roadside were part of the casualties.

“From available information, the accident was caused by dangerous driving.”

We gathered that the tragic incident occurred when a Lowbed truck belonging to a construction firm working at Oji-River – Awgu Federal Road lost control and rammed into a school bus conveying over 60 pupils of the Presentation Nursery and Primary School, Awgu owned by the Catholic Diocese of Awgu home.

READ  NCDC Confirms COVID-19 Cases in Cross Rivers

Continue Reading

Latest News

Buhari rejects Amnesty reports, gives ministers one week to submit ENDSARS reports

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

The President Muhammadu Buhari has given ministers one week ultimatum to submit reports of their consultations with their constituents on the ongoing #ENDSARS protests which had been hijacked by hoodlums thereby resulting in a state of lawlessness in different parts of the country.

Recall that President Buhari had at last week’s Federal Executive Council, FEC, meeting told the Ministers to go and interface with their constituents in a bid to stop the looting and burning of government and private properties by hoodlums as aftermath of the protest against police brutality.

It was gathered that President Buhari has given the cabinet members one week to turn in their reports on their town hall meeting with their consultants.

The Presidency Thursday rejected the report of Amnesty International alleging that the report on the Lekki shootings was skewed.

The Presidency said the Amnesty International cannot have more facts about things happening in the country than the President

Speaking at the Sunrise Daily, a Channels Television programme, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Chief Femi Adesina, disputed the allegations that the looting and rioting was not caused by the military shootings, insisting that there was already violence in some parts of the country before the Lekki incident.

READ  Police brutality continues in Nigeria even as SARS is dissolved

Fielding question that the looting was a fall out of the Lekki shootings, Adesina said, “You are not quite correct. You are falling for the narrative of Amnesty International. And Amnesty is wrong. Anarchy had broken loose before even Lekki. The prisons in Benin and Oko had been broken open before Lekki. Orile police station had been burnt before Lekki.

“Many policemen had been burnt before Lekki. So, you cannot say it was Lekki that precipitated all those things. Look at the timelines, look at all those things. You will discover that it had happened before Lekki. So, you are falling for the gambit of Amnesty International.

“Amnesty International does not have all the facts, they don’t run this country, they shouldn’t know beyond what they have been told. They shouldn’t know more than you and I should know as media people as watchers of developments.”

Asked if it was the President’s thinking that Amnesty’s report was wrong, Chief Adesina alleged that Amnesty International was in the habit of making unsubstantiated reports about Nigeria.

According to him, “Many times, the military has come out to dispute facts brought out by Amnesty.”

When asked whether President Buhari approved the military action in Lekki as the commander-in-chief, the presidential Spokesman said he would not want to undermine the work of the panel of inquiry looking into the matter.

READ  Goodluck Johnathan slams critics, says he didn't hand over a broken nation to Buhari

Speaking on the directives to ministers to visit states to douse tentions in their respective states, Adesina said: “I can tell you because there was another Federal Executive Council meeting yesterday (Wednesday), the president asked for briefs from ministers who went out. Only two had their reports ready as at yesterday because some others were still in their respective states still carrying out their assignment.

“So, the president said all of them should turn in their reports through the Secretary to the Government of the Federation in the incoming week.”

Asked what to expect out of the reports, Adesina said: “Well, it can only be positive.

“One, it will help us to establish the truth to something’s because there are a lot of conjectures, colourations, outright falsehoods, fake news and all that. The ministers can come with what is near authentic based on the consultations they are going to make.”

The Water Resources Minister Sulaiman Adamu, had during a courtesy call to Governor Muhammadu Badaru Abubakar of Jigawa State in Dutse, disclosed that ministers were directed to meet with stakeholders to explain federal government’s efforts to meet the demands of the youths.

READ  Nigerian Newspaper Headlines for today Saturday, 24th October 2020

He had said that the cabinet members were directed to “go to our states to solicit the support of political, traditional, religious and community leaders against the violence that emanated from # EndSARS protests.”

Adamu had said he was therefore in the state to meet with leaders on “promoting tolerance, peace and stability in this critical moment and hear from them and report back to him (Buhari) immediately.”.

Adamu had also acknowledged that the #ENDSARS protests started well and was in line with the Nigerian constitution only to be hijacked along the line by those who infringed on the rights of other citizens, killed innocent persons, looted and engaged in other criminal acts.

He said: “President Muhammad Buhari is soliciting the support of all other political leaders in the state to properly address the people of the state on the need to dispel any rumour that is tantamount to creating disunity among Nigerians and also throw the nation into crisis.”

The Minister of State for Power, Prince Jedy-Agba was in Cross River State few days ago with his constituents on the matter.

Continue Reading

Latest News

American policeman shoots a black man in front of his mother.

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

An American police man was seen an recorded shooting a black American man 10 times

DJ akademiks posted the video of the shooting yesterday

In the video, a man is seen charging towards two policemen with a knife in his hand. His mother tried to hold him back but he refused to submit and he kept charging towards them. Then they fired at the man ten times.

People have shared many views on this as some said that the police men were right and would win if this was a case because the man was armed with a knife

But others suggest that the police would have simply used tasers or subdued him since they were three. Or they would have shot him on the leg. And they have linked this to the American racism that has been going on in the country.

READ  Lagos State Gas explosion, 8 deaths, 25 houses burnt.

Be free to drop your views on the comment aection

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending