Connect with us

Latest News

WTO selects Mrs Ngozi Okonjo Iwewla as one of the two finalists for the director general position

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

The World Trade Organization (WTO) has selected two final candidates to advance to the final round in the race to appoint its director-general.

According to Bloomberg, the two candidates that made the final list are Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and South Korea’s Yoo Myung-hee.

The newspaper added that the WTO General Council Chairman David Walker plans to formally announce the results to the institution’s delegates on Thursday morning, October 8.

Earlier, Legit.ng reported that the quest by Okonjo-Iweala to head the World Trade Organization has got a boost as the European Union governments endorse her.

The EU member-country envoys agreed on Monday, October 5, that they will support Okonjo-Iweala who is Nigeria’s former finance minister and the country’s candidate for the top job.

READ  "increase in the price of fuel and electricity tariff will benefit ordinary Nigerians in the long run" Lai Mohammed.

The other candidate endorsed by the EU is Yoo Myung-hee who is from South Korea.

Recall that a former prime minister of the United Kingdom (UK), Gordon Brown, has lent his support to Okonjo-Iweala, arguing that she is the right person for the job.

Brown argued that the former minister has produced positive results even in the toughest of jobs across the world and is, therefore, for fit for the much-contested position.

Similarly, Aliko Dangote, one of Africa’s richest business mogul, put out his voice in support of Okonjo-Iweala as the best candidate to emerge as director-general of the WTO.

Dangote said he believed that the WTO needs a professional with proven international records like Okonjo-Iweala at its hem of affairs.

READ  Popular Nigerian Billionaire Femi Otedola buys Ferrari for his daughters

Latest News

US Special military forces rescues an American citizen in Nigeria

Benjamin Ukpabi

Published

on

US military forces rescued an American citizen in Nigeria, the Pentagon said on Saturday, days after he was kidnapped by gunmen in the south of neighbouring Niger and apparently taken across the border.

The hostage, Philip Walton, was abducted Monday night on the outskirts of Massalata, a village about 10 kilometres (six miles) from the border with Nigeria.

Walton is safe and in the care of the US State Department, the Pentagon said in a statement. US forces did not suffer any casualties in the rescue operation, it added.

“The United States is committed to the safe return of all US citizens taken captive,” Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a separate statement.

READ  "increase in the price of fuel and electricity tariff will benefit ordinary Nigerians in the long run" Lai Mohammed.

“We delivered on that commitment late last night in Nigeria, where some of our bravest and most skilled warriors rescued a US citizen,” he said.

President Donald Trump hailed the rescue operation.

“Big win for our very elite U.S. Special Forces today. Details to follow!,” he tweeted.

Niger’s Defence Minister Issoufou Katambe had earlier confirmed the hostage release to AFP without giving details about how he had been freed.

Local officials had said this week that the kidnappers had called the man’s father to demand a ransom, though the family did not confirm this.

Walton had been living in Massalata with his wife and child for two years, according to his father, who himself has been in Niger for nearly 30 years.

Niger lies in the heart of the vast Sahel region, which is struggling with a jihadist insurgency that has claimed thousands of lives and driven hundreds of thousands from their homes.

READ  President Buhari addresses Nigerians in his speech

 

US forces have two drone bases in Agadez and Dirkou, in northern Niger. Their aircraft provide significant support to the French anti-jihadist Barkhane force.

In October 2017, four American Special Forces soldiers and five Nigerien soldiers were killed in an ambush in Tongo Tongo, near Mali, in southwestern Niger.

The attack was claimed by the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara.

Several Westerners are currently being held hostage in the region, including American aid worker Jeffery Woodke, who was kidnapped in the central town of Abalak in 2016 and is believed to be in neighbouring Mali now.

Three Europeans, including 75-year-old French charity worker Sophie Petronin, were released by their captors in Mali earlier this month under a prisoner swap arranged by the Malian government.

In August, six French aid workers and two Niger citizens were killed in the Koure wildlife reserve west of Niamey, in an attack claimed by the so-called Islamic State group.ci

READ  Nigerian Governors' Forum meets with labour leaders in a bid to avert Monday’s strike

Continue Reading

Latest News

FG threatens to make migration difficult for doctors

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

Dr Osagie Ehanire, The Minister for Health, made it clear that the federal government will do everything within her power to discourage doctors from travelling outside Nigeria.

The Minister said that the government will provide adequate medical facilities and also provide incentives that will discourage the Doctors from traveling outside the country, he said this on Friday in Abuja after inspecting the Cancer Centre in the National Hospital Abuja.

He said “I have heard the challenge of doctors leaving the country. We have plans to provide better funding for our hospitals in Nigeria and make such migration unattractive,”

Dr Osagie Ehanire praised the hospital staffs and administration, and encouraged them to better, he urged the hospital to be ready incase the global corona virus resurface again as seen in other countries. He advised the hospital to make judicious use of the funds made available to them.

READ  Minister of Youths and Sports development urged popular Nigerian singer, Naira Marley, to stop mass action scheduled to protest the excesses of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

He added “Schools are resuming, people are travelling in and out the country so we must be prepared for any emergency”.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Banks commence emergency system update due to threats from Anonymous

Wisdom Nwachukwu

Published

on

A global hacktivist network known as Anonymous stirred an aggressive campaign in Nigeria two weeks ago, Nigerian banks as part of the precautionary measure has decided embark on an immediate emergency upgrade.

Mohammed Abdullahi Minister of State for Science and Technology confirmed the threat from Anonymous, he clearly stated there was a well planned attacks on important government Databases.

Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy Isa Pantami, also  admitted that some government websites were tampered with. He said: ‘‘On my instruction, the NITDA and NCC worked almost round the clock last week to rectify the situation and ensure no vital data was compromised. I am happy the websites are back and running now.”

READ  PDP, Ohaneze, others express disappointment over President Buhari's Independence day speech

He also assured Nigerians that stringent measures have been take taken to avoid further attacks,  emphasized  for all the relevant organization to upgrade their system.

 

 

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending